Thread: GPS marks from Hummingbird to Garmin.

GPS marks from Hummingbird to Garmin.

New boat is coming online, need to start retrieving all my gps data from the old unit which is a hummingbird and transfer them to the unit units which are both Garmin units. Both sets of electronics are flush mounted son i guess i am looking at using SD cards to transfer the data, at this point i don't have a card reader for the PC. I never have a go at this before so I am looking for any advice or heads up on any pitfalls to look out for. The situation has may me think about some type of PC based storage of my GPS data as a back up or quick reference, any thoughts on the easiest PC software to buy to do this. I'm not a IT guru so it would be more useful to have something that is user friendly even if it has less features.

BigE

Re: GPS marks from Hummingbird to Garmin.

There are explanations and a You tube demo for getting marks out of the bird product - what I am not sure of is the format they will export in. If it is GPX format - all good. If it is Humminbirds HWR format they will need to be converted via software. Humminbird PC is as good as anything and I think is downloadable with a serial number off one of your units. As far as saving is concerned, you can just save the files to your PC. If however you want to view and manipulate them, you will need a program. Given you are going to Garmin products, the best option is probably their program called Homeport. None of these programs are without their idiosyncrasies but once you start having a good play it starts to make sense.

Thanks Scottar

I have down loaded the data from the H/Bird onto a card and then saved to my PC the file is a HWR file so i guess i will need to get a program to read the file.

BigE

Yep. Download Humminbird PC. It will read the hwr file and then you can "save as" a gpx file.

thanks Scottar
    worked a treat have the full set of marks saved in a gpx file and in an xls spreadsheet.

appreciate the help.

BigE