Thread: Yamaha 30cv battery charging

Free Membership

Yamaha 30cv battery charging

I have purchased a rectifier for my yamaha cv 30. I run a HDS with structure scan and an electric, so my battery only lasts one day. How much charge will I actually get into the battery is my question? The alternator is 6A. I am planning some extended camping trips so I need the battery to last. I have borrowed a little honda generator to charge the battery up at night, so im not too worried, but just interested to know what performance i will actually get out of the rectifier, im thinking not a great deal unless I am motoring for a lot of hours?

Re: Yamaha 30cv battery charging

Yep. you are right - not a great deal but it is still worth having. They put out 6 amps but only when you have given it a fistful of revs - at idle it will be next to nothing. The biggest benefit is that if you have fished all day and flattened the battery, at least you know the motor will provide enough charge for lights and nav gear for the run home. Count on using your generator and get yourself a good charger of 20 to 30 amp output. That way even by stopping for an hour or two for lunch you can get enough into the battery for the afternoon session if required.

Free Membership

is their a formula to work out how long charging a battery will take based on charger output and the battery specs?

What size battery do you have?
    Cheers

Free Membership

What size battery do you have?

This info is useful

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a.../subscribe_thx
    Cheers

In really basic terms, a (say) 100 AH (amp hour) battery can supply 10 amps for 10 hours, or similar loads, and to charge it is the reverse, it will take a 10 amp charger 10 hours to charge it, of course it is way more complicated than that, but for general reference, it's a "guide" to battery size, and charger needs.

What Noelm said.......but with say a ctek or projecta charger of 25amps you can get the bulk back into the battery in a few hours. Either of those chargers will supply maximum amps upto about 80% / 85% charge and then start to taper down as it goes into absorption charge before going into float mode.

So I would guess if you use your battery and let it run down to about 50% SOC, which will show around 12v on a multimeter you could get it reasonably charged in four or five hours.

Just remember when you get home and back to a 240v supply to let your battery charge slowly on say a 2amp charge for a day or so.....and check the fluid levels as well.

Cheers

Investigate a flexible solar panel to whack on the fore deck whilst fishing,
    It will extend your battery live substantially whilst out fishing.
    There are several marine grade flexible panels on the market that are good and charge out at reasonable amounts.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    I have purchased a rectifier for my yamaha cv 30. I run a HDS with structure scan and an electric, so my battery only lasts one day. How much charge will I actually get into the battery is my question? The alternator is 6A. I am planning some extended camping trips so I need the battery to last. I have borrowed a little honda generator to charge the battery up at night, so im not too worried, but just interested to know what performance i will actually get out of the rectifier, im thinking not a great deal unless I am motoring for a lot of hours?
    What do you mean by "purchased a rectifier" isn't the motor electric start with built in charger? if it's a pull start only, it may not even have a charging system, some don't!

The cv30 has a 80watt ac lighting coil as standard on the pull start model.

Free Membership

I looked this up before I bought it. im sure it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What do you mean by "purchased a rectifier" isn't the motor electric start with built in charger? if it's a pull start only, it may not even have a charging system, some don't!