Thread: Internal and external Bung (scupper) for alum floor

Internal and external Bung (scupper) for alum floor

I have an Gull Wing centre console (circa 1990) with a solid aluminum floor.

It was originally fitted externally with a Removable Bailer nipple
    Removable Bailer nipple (Small).JPG

The female section of above unit was sealed internally by a solid rubber bung.
    With age the size of hole is not compatible with rubber bungs today and in addition there is some electrolisis near to hole and i need to get the whole area replated, if their is such a word

Am not getting any younger (same as boat) and I would like to combine the bailer nipple with an internal screw in bung
    aomething like this
    Captive bung (Small).JPG

Now I am just taking these from Whitworth's catalogue and enquire WHAT OTHER PART I need to do the job i.e have the outside covered for ingress by the bailer nipple and the inside by the coarse thread bung.
    The nipple will need to screw into something and this part is what I need to know

Of course any other suggestions welcome.

The available height for any bung is about 35mm.

Pedro

Re: Internal and external Bung (scupper) for alum floor

Those nipples just screw into a standard bung housing - 16mm coarse thread by their website. You will need to create enough space between the two housings though to give you the depth required. I don't ever recall seeing a bung housing that was long enough to have one bung screwed in from the inside and one from the outside (the nipple) . You could either weld in a box or use a well sealed heavy grade plastic if it's above water line and you don't want to do any welding as one option. Another may be mounting the housings back to front but you would need to make sure their is enough thread depth and that doing so didn't compromise the sealing quality of the fittings.

Thanks Scottar, and I have never seen a bung housing as needed by me, and will discuss with welder your good suggestions

In my search I found these from Whitworths and will investigate if they can be incorporated into what I am after
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Platinum Member

Keep brass away from Aluminium. Not sure of your setup, but they should never make direct contact, or it will eat the ali.

My welder is going to weld a 25mm aluminum pipe to fit flush with back wall, after he removes existing set up.
    Pipe will extend from back of boat to back of step , each side, which attaches adjacent to motor, and will be welded onto underside of step

May also look at runnning a hose with the bailer nipple secured withing this hose/pipe
    I can then just use the Ring handle bung , internally which will suit me fine.

Pedro

The Gull-wing that i had Had a 2" hole each side at the transom, with a soft rubber as a hing on to a piece of alloy with a bungee cord attached on the inside to pull it back to seal & held with a cleat at the floor & worked well

49465h4_20.jpg You can see the flap on the right in this picture

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    49465h4_20.jpg You can see the flap on the right in this picture
    DATCOL,
    Is that a Gull Wing?
    I bought mine from Ralph Morgan of Hydro Marine who was the manufacturer.

Mine looks like this

IMG_20160207_0001 (Small).jpg

My wings appear to be different to the ones in your photo and the bungs I have are rubber ones , filed down to fit into bailer nipple shown above.
    Using your back steps as a guide my bungs are just under the top of step.

Anyway time has caught up and electrolosis has appeared around the bungs and will be repaired tomorrow.
    Thanks for your interest

Pedro

Did you have a chrome brass bung housing fitted?

6 Meter Reef seeker 1997 Gull-wing Walk around cab Great boat Built buy Ralph morgan65265ci_20.jpg5152kcf_20.jpg2927kki_20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    6 Meter Reef seeker 1997 Gull-wing Walk around cab Great boat Built buy Ralph morgan65265ci_20.jpg5152kcf_20.jpg2927kki_20.jpg
    Mine has caught too many crabs to take a photo of back but the big difference is that on your last photo the right hand side at back has a door opening which when I bought it Ralph told me was for oldies .
    Now I am really pleased he put in the door which I use when it is on the ramp.
    My bungs are seated at carpet level and are under the two steps on either side as per my earlier photo.
    Scottar, In the end we could not use the pipe as initially intended so , after repairs to the section where original s/s bung housing had corroded, decided to go with the original set up replacing s/s bungs with the plastic type.
    Will have a rubber bung drilled and fit a string through for ease of extraction.

Pedro

A lot of those fittings look like they are stainless but are actually chromed brass - both of which will cause galvanic corrosion. Plastic is the go.

Thanks Scottar.
    Exactly what the welder told me.
    The bung housing had eaten away nearly all around it on both sides and very shortly would have fallen out altogether.

All fixed now

Pedro