Thread: Best options for fuel gauge

Best options for fuel gauge

So im after an easy option for me to check fuel , mostly after total fuel left in tank. But other stats would be handy

I picked up a 2nd hand plate boat that doesn't have a fuel gauge . The tank sits in the middle of the floor with the top of the tank being the floor . Air sealed chambers on both sides of the tank With carpet over the top. The Fill cap is through the floor direct into the tank. So I can't mount a level sensor/ probe on top.

Currently use a dip stick which is fail safe but puss

I have a 2007 EFI Honda 90 but don't believe it can be connected to my HDS gen 2

I see there is a lowrance inline fuel sender I could buy , # EP 60R ? , with the NMEA 2000 loom and think I need the storage module so it doesn't reset when the GPS is turned off ? I would have to manually reset when I fuel up before each trip tho.

At close to $400 Is there any other options out there worth a look or use the lowrance fuel sender gear above ?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Best options for fuel gauge

No other options really unless Honda have something in house. The reliability of the Lowrance memory modules hasn't really been "confidence building" as such but they did have a model revision in recent times. Manual resetting really isn't too much of a chore - I usually do it prior to departure at home as I always fill to full but if I forget, I notice as soon as I look at the readouts as I am idling away from the ramp on both the displays in my rig ( 1 NMEA, 1 proprietary ) and do it then. If you do fit one, remember they will quite possibly nowhere near accurate until calibrated.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I used one of those Lowrance sender units with a Lowrance display unit. If you can't match the Lowrance sender/combo to the Honda, this may be your only option. They are a 50MM round display, very configurable. I was in the same boat as you, 170 litre tank with no sender or space to fit one, running a 90 yam 2S. It is obviously a semi-manual operation, as you have to input the fuel you put in, but you would have to do that anyway, even if you did have the flash setup via the motor displaying on your HDS. Only downside I found was that it really wasn't better than 90% accurate--it consistently ran high. I re-calibrated a number of times, didn't make much of a difference. At least it always meant you had more fuel than it said you did, but it also meant pumping it dry twice a year to reset to a genuine zero, if you felt you needed it and were doing a few hours. Otherwise, just be assured there was always more fuel there than it said there was. I had no problems with it reliability wise. edit--the GPS I had at the time was only outputting 0183, so I couldn't do an input to get consumption per unit of distance travelled, only flow/hr.

What about plugging a GMI 20 straight into the NMEA and using the fuel flow from the engine to keep track of fuel reserves? It does mean that you have to reset the GMI each time you add fuel or fill up but that takes a few seconds....mine is accurate to 5L over 210L tank (E.g. 2.3%) plus you can monitor fuel useage while running for optimum economy....??

Best options for fuel gauge

Would be good but I don't think my engine has a NMEA output , 2007 Honda BF90D EFI 4 ? From what I have searched online anyway

Might be limited to an inline fuel sender plugged into the HDS display via a NMEA loom , would save a standalone gauge maybe .

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I tried googling if it had NMEA too, thought it did but not sure, send Spaniard King a PM and he will most liklely know off the top of his head....

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I tried googling if it had NMEA too, thought it did but not sure, send Spaniard King a PM and he will most liklely know off the top of his head....
    Only 2016 and newer 90HP have NMEA 2000

ep60 only option.. or the Garmin equivalent or.. engine upgrade
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Just use a dipstick, never beaks down! I once had a boat with the filler on the floor, hated it, ended up cutting the tank out and modifying it to use a gunnel filler.

The stick will never lie!

Yeah stick is simple and it works, that's what I do at the moment . a bit of a pain when you just want a quick look at fuel on the run tho.

Does anyone know if other brand NMEA fuel flow senders would work with a lowrance HDS 7 touch display ?

They will possibly send the data but you wouldn't be able to calibrate them.

What type of outboard do you have?
    Nmea compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    What type of outboard do you have?
    Nmea compatible?

Nah no NMEA connection on the Honda 90 of that year, 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Sorry I should have read your first post. This ausfish app doesn't load all the topics well sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_460 View Post
    Yeah stick is simple and it works, that's what I do at the moment . a bit of a pain when you just want a quick look at fuel on the run tho.

Does anyone know if other brand NMEA fuel flow senders would work with a lowrance HDS 7 touch display ?

I thought I read somewhere that Merc had glow metres too!