Thread: Brisbane River Jew and Threadfin!

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Jew and Threadfin!

Brother in law had been seeing all the pics of the fish I had been getting lately and was pretty keen to tag along for a trip.
    Headed down to the river about 5pm yesterday afternoon, plenty of bait around so got that sorted farily quick. Headed up towards the cranes where some fish had been hanging around lately.
    Found some good shows on the sounder so dropped the anchor. Well we quickly found out that the fish on the sounder were actually sharks around 90-100cm long.... After losing 4 rigs we made a move. Moved around a few times for nothing. Finally got a good hit and brother in law was on, on the light rod as well. After about 45minutes and pulling anchor to chase the fish, we saw briefly what appeared to be a shovel nose shark in the realm of 1.5-2m long....Another 10 minutes later and it had found its way to some structure and we lost it. It was a massive fish and after such a long fight time it still seemed to have plenty left in the tank. Got down close to the backing at least 3 times during the fight.
    Made a final move with the tide chaning direction and managed to find the fish.
    Got a 102cm jew, followed quite quickly by meter plus threadfin. Missed a good fish then got a smaller threadfin around 89cm. Managed to make it a good trip with some nice fish at the end.
    Didn't get any rain at all too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 102.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	115436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 1.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	115437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 2.jpg 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	115438

Re: Brisbane River Jew and Threadfin!

Thanks for the report mate - good results!

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Brother in law had been seeing all the pics of the fish I had been getting lately and was pretty keen to tag along for a trip.
    Headed down to the river about 5pm yesterday afternoon, plenty of bait around so got that sorted farily quick. Headed up towards the cranes where some fish had been hanging around lately.
    Found some good shows on the sounder so dropped the anchor. Well we quickly found out that the fish on the sounder were actually sharks around 90-100cm long.... After losing 4 rigs we made a move. Moved around a few times for nothing. Finally got a good hit and brother in law was on, on the light rod as well. After about 45minutes and pulling anchor to chase the fish, we saw briefly what appeared to be a shovel nose shark in the realm of 1.5-2m long....Another 10 minutes later and it had found its way to some structure and we lost it. It was a massive fish and after such a long fight time it still seemed to have plenty left in the tank. Got down close to the backing at least 3 times during the fight.
    Made a final move with the tide chaning direction and managed to find the fish.
    Got a 102cm jew, followed quite quickly by meter plus threadfin. Missed a good fish then got a smaller threadfin around 89cm. Managed to make it a good trip with some nice fish at the end.
    Didn't get any rain at all too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 102.jpg 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	115436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 1.jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	115437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 2.jpg 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	115438

Hi mate what part of the tide was it low tide or High tide?

Had to laugh when you said that the first fish were all sharks.
    Anyway good to hear that things got better.

Great haul, mate. Some of those shovelies have more fight in them than anything in the ocean. Cuzza

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Hi SharkyMark42, the fish we got were all near the start of the tide coming in.
    I have lost more rigs/sinkers in the past 2 trip than the past 6 months....

Hi Cuzza, It just never seemed to slow down or get tired at any point. When we thought it was done and got a bit of line back it would take off like a rocket again! It certainly fights better than the smaller models which don't fight at all!

Mate, I think there are two different types that frequent the area. The one you had is regularly found inside Moreton Is, and they never cease to throw down hard. I know an old time shark fisho who's caught all manner of large sharks on a Tiagra 80, and he said the best fight he ever had was a twelve foot shovel caught inside Moreton.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Mate, I think there are two different types that frequent the area. The one you had is regularly found inside Moreton Is, and they never cease to throw down hard. I know an old time shark fisho who's caught all manner of large sharks on a Tiagra 80, and he said the best fight he ever had was a twelve foot shovel caught inside Moreton.

Cuzza
    Can't be me Cuzza..............all mine were on an ambassadeur 7000 :-)

Good report Jackson.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.