Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New model 4 stroke reliability

Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
    If you are drawing fuel from the same tank and the fuel is bad it doesn't matter how many engines you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I run twin tanks/ batteries etc.totally separate units.
    Even with 1 tank I'd assume if you got bad fuel you would stop nor far from the harbour. Highly unlikely youd make it 100km out before issues arose.

Lots of things can go wrong with a motor, bad starter is common, solenoid, fuses, sensors etc.

The benefit of todays motors is often you get limp mode and not a total failure. Also linking your motor via nmea2000 gives you all the info you need on whats going wrong generally. Aswell as code flashes on display units. Not just a beep with old school motors.

Sat phone is a good option if your going wide regardless of 1 motor or 2.

Its totally a personal preference, one isn't better than another overall.

Like wives, having two is good for some or a nightmare for others

Contact Double Island point fishing charters, they use Honda 225s and changed out their last one at 6000 hrs and sold it on

He had 1 gearbox failure due to an underwater strike

He did the 100 hr services and I did the majors every 7-800 hrs
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Free Membership

If you are looking at twin 200-250, the what other option do you have apart from twins? Unless you fitted a single 350 yam/merc i cant see how you can use a single anyway. unless you mean 200-250hp combined?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    I've never had a new boat or engine but I've convinced myself it's a good idea. I've been pricing rigs with twin engines as I want the comfort of having a backup but with the technology in new outboards maybe I'm being over cautious. I would be interested in actual reliability figures of someone who has run an engine from new to high hours & how many times they've had trouble. I'm looking at Honda or Yamaha 200 to 250 HP. I'm a diesel fitter by trade & I'm pretty anal about maintenance & care of my gear so the data I'm after is more related to design reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    If you are looking at twin 200-250, the what other option do you have apart from twins? Unless you fitted a single 350 yam/merc i cant see how you can use a single anyway. unless you mean 200-250hp combined?
    Strap one of these to the Yalta

http://www.seven-marine.com/

or one of these

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboar...s/verado-400r/

Free Membership

No need scottar, its already got the speed of the devil! I have seen those 7 marine before, though only in photographs.

Am I right or have i misread the post? If he needs 400-500hp to push his hulls, we will have to get twins anyway. I know a single 350 would do it, but you dont see many rigs like that.

No need scottar, its already got the speed of the devil! I have seen those 7 marine before, though only in photographs.

Am I right or have i misread the post? If he needs 400-500hp to push his hulls, we will have to get twins anyway. I know a single 350 would do it, but you dont see many rigs like that.
    Given the original post was about the reliability of a single in that horsepower range, I think you may have misinterpreted but even if you hadn't there are options right up to the Seven marine product in a single outboard. Would most people fit a single 557 horsepower over twins - probably not but it can and has been done. You don't have to go with twins.

Free Membership

I know the 7 marine outboards exist, but I dont really consider 7 marine an option in australia. I have never ever seen one here, wouldnt know where to find one to buy, im sure they are probably more expensive than twin 300 yamaha's anyway. Maybe they are more popular in america. but I dunno where my local 7 marine mechanic is. Sounds like the he is not talking about twin 250's anyway.

I know the 7 marine outboards exist, but I dont really consider 7 marine an option in australia. I have never ever seen one here, wouldnt know where to find one to buy, im sure they are probably more expensive than twin 300 yamaha's anyway. Maybe they are more popular in america. but I dunno where my local 7 marine mechanic is. Sounds like the he is not talking about twin 250's anyway.
    Probably get it fixed at any Holden dealership - 6.2 litre GM block LOL. The Seven marine was only an example. The bloke that sold you your engine can quite probably get 400 Hp in one engine. As yank outboard powered craft get bigger, there will more manufacturers follow Mercury and Seven Marine's lead at a guess. Price I heard bandied about was about $70K US so they are expensive......to some. By the time you are looking for 1000 or 2000 plus horsepower price is really only a formality.

Free Membership

I think there may be an increase in big HP outboards, but not at an alarmingly fast rate, and especially the availability over here. Yamaha brought out the 350 10 years ago and it hasnt shifted much since then, mecc and etec have had a 300 for a while, among others, and now a 350 and 400 in the merc. there seems to be a fascination in the US about having huge boats with 5X300hp on the back or something similar. I dont think that kind of thing will ever take off here, mainly because its stupid and the price of fuel difference. outboards may continue to get more powerful, but I doubt in a big way and I dont think the Australian market will be into it.

I think there may be an increase in big HP outboards, but not at an alarmingly fast rate, and especially the availability over here. Yamaha brought out the 350 10 years ago and it hasnt shifted much since then, mecc and etec have had a 300 for a while, among others, and now a 350 and 400 in the merc. there seems to be a fascination in the US about having huge boats with 5X300hp on the back or something similar. I dont think that kind of thing will ever take off here, mainly because its stupid and the price of fuel difference. outboards may continue to get more powerful, but I doubt in a big way and I dont think the Australian market will be into it.
    Different strokes for different folks Wildfish. There will be a market for big outboards here - won't be massive but there will be a market but in the world wide scheme of things we have absolutely no importance. The states probably have individual dealerships that move more dollars worth of engines than our national distributors.

I have seen/been involved with a quad 300 Suzuki powered Australian built craft used for adventure tours and with the love Aussies have for catamarans there are options there. Government department vessels - they don't care about the cost of fuel and outboards can be quickly swapped out to keep an emergency response vessel in service - not so easy with an inboard. There is always the racing crowd as well. For average Joe that just want's to catch a few fish though - I agree, probably not.

Heliduck, I'm kicking tyres at the moment myself considering what new engine to go for. Depending on what your boating requirements may be, unless you're biased like me, any of the latest offerings will give you many years of confident ocean travels. I don't want to start a p**is measuring contest (if I wanted to do that I'd buy a 585r) but I'll stick with Yamaha, probably F225xca.Yamaha have served me well. 4000 odd hrs on my last pair of 4 strokes and 1400hrs on the current one with NO failure EVER, and its 2 stroke, just treat them right. Having said that, one of our work vessels has 225 Hondas I think around 1200hrs also no problems.

One down side with twin outboards is the original expense to purchase and set up. Then every hundred hours/12 months you get to service 2 outboards costing you over $1000 rather than just servicing one.
    I've got a 2015 150HP Merc and have had no issues offshore Brissy, Gold Coast or 1770 on 4 day fishing trips. Look after it and it will look after you.
    You wouldn't take two cars everywhere you go incase one breaks down so why take 2 outboards?
    If it does play up you have a radio, flares and an EPIRB.
    You're never alone.

Plastics fantastic but bait is better.

http://www.nizpromarine.com/home/pro...rcharged-450s/

These guys are doing an Eaton Supercharger for the 4.2lt Yamaha 6cyl motors. Brings them up to 450hp at the prop shaft.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to