Classifieds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    New model 4 stroke reliability

    I've never had a new boat or engine but I've convinced myself it's a good idea. I've been pricing rigs with twin engines as I want the comfort of having a backup but with the technology in new outboards maybe I'm being over cautious. I would be interested in actual reliability figures of someone who has run an engine from new to high hours & how many times they've had trouble. I'm looking at Honda or Yamaha 200 to 250 HP. I'm a diesel fitter by trade & I'm pretty anal about maintenance & care of my gear so the data I'm after is more related to design reliability.

  2. #2

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    I guess in a way, there is no answer, things can fail in months, or decades, that said, I would have no problem taking a single engine boat out over the shelf, out past the reef, or anywhere else, it's done all the time, sure some might break down, but the numbers are pretty small really.

  3. #3

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    The trouble with a twin outboard rig is that quite often just one motor won't get you on plane anyway. My 150 Verado is over 10 years old and has never had a problem.
    Dale

    I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

  4. #4

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    The OTHER problem with a dual outboard rig for reliability is that often the problem is FUEL, and unless you have separate fuel tanks that you fill up in separate locations, then two motors often don't give you the redundancy that you expect.
    Just something to consider.
    Peter

  5. #5

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Honda 250 over 600 hours. Computer failure 10 nm from round hill head land
    = tow in. Around 550 hours at time. Perfect before and after replacement computer (under warranty )
    Kev

  6. #6

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Comes down to where you fish, how far offshore you go and your personality.
    I had a single engine rig for a while, being 140km offshore with no radio signal didn't sit well with me. I couldn't enjoy my day. Plus in very mechanically capable,

    What happens if your fishing the outer reef 20m from reef edge and you brake down and the swell is pushing into coral? Your screwed.
    Anchor pulls at night and a motor doesn't start isn't a nice feeling.

    I can't fathom how people go way offshore with only 1 motor, not for me.

    I have a twin setup now, sits much better with me. Specially when taking kids out.
    Motor broke down last year about 90km out from mackay. No dramas, just putted back on one motor and back on trailer 3-4h later.

    Yes you won't plane on one engine.

    If you have single your bobbing around in ocean for 4-5 hours waiting for coast guard. Plus a 2-4 hour tow home. Plus you have hassle of contacting them, discussion over radio, extra fuel bill etc.

    I also fish remote areas at cape York. Past coast guard territory, no way you'd do that with a single.

    So comes down to personality I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

  7. #7
    Ausfish Bronze Member WildFishExpeditions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South East VIC

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    a guy just drove his trailer boat around Australia for charity. twin 150 mercs. no issues at all. I think all modern 4 strokes are as reliable as any other. I did tow a suzuki back once though. dont tell the suzuki owners though, they will say im lying!

  8. #8

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Hi mate I have a 6.2m centre console Being pushed buy a 175hp Suzuki since new 2014 model with 488 hours as of Saturday just gone.

    I fish on my own offshore most times I don't really care how far offshore I go my donk has started first time every time. Only problem I have had was a leaking fuel filter .. fish of 1770 up to 12nm east of musgrave. But take a sat phone I service every 100 hours and flush every trip...hope this helps
    happy days ahead summer is coming

  9. #9

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Honda 225 2002 model 500 hours never missed a beat other than the CO2 sensor alarm (used more fuel but still went good) We go out of Stanage bay every year which is pretty remote and go out to the swains. Some above as state wouldn't do it but I feel very comfortable. I service every year before the trip and make sure it is tip top. We don't turn the motor off while we are out there though. Don't want a failed battery or starter motor for eg. Love my Honda.

  10. #10

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    As with any engine - they run great till the day they don't and probably won't give you any warning what so ever. There are enough simple things that can stop any modern outboard but if you dwell on it too much you would never use any boat. Buying new is no protection - the only engine of mine that has suffered a catastophic failure was purchased new and failed at 18 months old - the replacement powerhead did another 18 plus years before I sold it. No brand is better than others in this regard - you will find niggles/problems with various models in every stable along with a percentage of catastrophic failures but for every one of these you will find an army of supporters that run the same engine without issue and have done for ages. As mentioned above - dual engines combined with dual fuel from different sources is about as good as it will get in the overall scheme of things. A main with an auxiliary is next best - slow yes but you won't be stuck. Other than that, regular service and good fuel supply and filtration is about as good as you can get.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  11. #11

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Scottar, did you blow that power head when trying to race Moejoes & Giddy Up back to the ramp

    [QUOTE=scottar;1629442] the only engine of mine that has suffered a catastophic failure was purchased new and failed at 18 months old - the replacement powerhead did another 18 plus years before I sold it.

  12. #12

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    [QUOTE=Moejoes;1629446]Scottar, did you blow that power head when trying to race Moejoes & Giddy Up back to the ramp

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    the only engine of mine that has suffered a catastophic failure was purchased new and failed at 18 months old - the replacement powerhead did another 18 plus years before I sold it.
    I'm not in that league mate. It did fail about 10 minutes into the very next trip after spending 5 days beach launching at Rainbow through a shore dump. Had it failed at Rainbow in the shore dump things might have got "exciting". I ended up towing myself home too.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  13. #13

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    Honda 250 over 600 hours. Computer failure 10 nm from round hill head land
    = tow in. Around 550 hours at time. Perfect before and after replacement computer (under warranty )
    Kev
    Windows 10?!?!
    thanks for the feedback, I'll keep shaking the piggy bank for twins I think.

  14. #14

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Comes down to where you fish, how far offshore you go and your personality.
    I had a single engine rig for a while, being 140km offshore with no radio signal didn't sit well with me. I couldn't enjoy my day. Plus in very mechanically capable,

    What happens if your fishing the outer reef 20m from reef edge and you brake down and the swell is pushing into coral? Your screwed.
    Anchor pulls at night and a motor doesn't start isn't a nice feeling.

    I can't fathom how people go way offshore with only 1 motor, not for me.

    I have a twin setup now, sits much better with me. Specially when taking kids out.
    Motor broke down last year about 90km out from mackay. No dramas, just putted back on one motor and back on trailer 3-4h later.

    Yes you won't plane on one engine.

    If you have single your bobbing around in ocean for 4-5 hours waiting for coast guard. Plus a 2-4 hour tow home. Plus you have hassle of contacting them, discussion over radio, extra fuel bill etc.

    I also fish remote areas at cape York. Past coast guard territory, no way you'd do that with a single.

    So comes down to personality I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    If you are drawing fuel from the same tank and the fuel is bad it doesn't matter how many engines you have.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Re: New model 4 stroke reliability

    Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    a guy just drove his trailer boat around Australia for charity. twin 150 mercs. no issues at all. I think all modern 4 strokes are as reliable as any other. I did tow a suzuki back once though. dont tell the suzuki owners though, they will say im lying!
    Hans Tholstrup did it in Tom Thumb in the 1970s too. 17' Carribean Cougar with an 85hp 4cyl Merc two stroke.
    Dale

    I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us