Thread: Full Cab vs Bimini vs Topless

Full Cab vs Bimini vs Topless

What is your favorite?

I think Im going to be the odd one out here but I love topless boats!
    Clean looks.
    No bimini/cab in the way.
    The fresh breeze in your face as well as the odd splash of water when motoring along.
    Less wind drag (drifting/anchoring/towing/retrieving)
    Not trying to see through dirty/water splashed windscreen

Obvious downsides - lack of sun/rain/bad weather shelter- less to grab hold of - less room for rods

I can understand the Nth Qld blokes needing to get out of the sun but a hat is all us southerners really need. Most boats seem to have biminis and full clears. Are they really that necessary?

Re: Full Cab vs Bimini vs Topless

when I bought a boat from QLD and it arrived with a substantial T Top ...I thought well thats the first thing to go....in fact nearly sold the top on day 1 to another 565 man. Ten years on..its one of the best things since sliced bread ..shelter from rain and sun...lots of storage for rods underneath the canvas..and something to hang onto when you want to go outside the cabin ...or are loading at the pier...

Winter time its different Bimini and clears give a lot more shelter....try Bass Strait on a cold clear day!!!!

Not the odd one out at all! Having had all the above over the years, I've just gone back to a CC and love every second of it. Even copping a bit of spray occasionally brings a smile to my face..May change my tune in winter, but hey, that's what Storm life jacket/coats are for! Mat

Having spent 20 years in a centre console - some days I miss the open deck and easy access forward. But as I watch the remnants of the next bucket full of offshore spray slide off the rainexed glass screen or watch my mates sitting in the nighttime drizzle in raincoats down the Nerang whiting fishing those thoughts fade to a wry little smile.

Like all things boating, this is another compromise, no top, great fresh air, fits in carport or garage, BUT, not nice when it's raining, not nice when it's hot, maybe a fold down top might be the best compromise? but, it's pretty hard to beat a full hard top on a windy, wet winters day.....plus, all your "stuff" including electronics all stays dry.

Like others have said it all depends on what you want out of your boat and how you like to fish. Like many others I have had all the different types of boats and loved all of them as were purchased for the type of fishing and location. When I lived in Cairns I had CC and half cabin boats and the CC was great for fishing both in the rivers and reef but overnight trips out on the reef if the weather was not great would be something too remember. The half cabin was much better suited for the overnight trips with keeping the sun and rain off. Moved up to Cape York for 10 years and just had a 12ft open tinny that I carried on the roof rack so I could get to all the hard to get to places and was the perfect boat for that type of fishing. With the open boats I don't care how much sun screen you slap on you are going to get burnt and damage your shin and that's just part of fishing.

The boat I have now is a hard top with full storm curtains and love it also. Getting on with age now and feel I had done my time doing it hard sleeping on wet decks covered in dried salt and a little trout blood to wake up in the morning to a cold beef sandwich with cold coffee. When I feel the need now to cover myself with salt and burn the last bit of shin I have left I just open the side windows and sun roof and its game on.

In summary I find the move to a hardtop was the best for me and could not be happier. I will get a small tinny as a second boat for fishing and crabbing around the creeks but it will certainly have some shade added. The wife comes out with me more these days and keeping the boss dry and happy is extremely important for my well being.

Al depends on the boat, its intended use, its geographical location or time of year.. but I will say those kingfisher canopies would be alot more popular on smaller tinnies if they weren't so cost prohibitive for most people.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

The first thing i put on the Formula was an ally Hard top for the type of fishing i do is bloody important we have some shade