Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best boat <5m for FNQ River and Reef

Re: Best boat <5m for FNQ River and Reef

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Ive learnt a considerable amount already.

Aussiebasser - those Seajays do look good. As does the Hammerhead, and the Polycrafts are certainly interesting. Id love to go over a 5m, self draing, side console model if they made one.

I found this pic during my research. Next level again by the looks!

Custom off road trailer.jpg

Any tinny around 4.5-4.8 is perfect for up cape York really. Biggest consideration is what trailer you use to tow it. As this is what destroys your boat more than anything.

Ive fished alot up the cape in a 4.5m boat. Was a basic seajay with a 50hp.At this size 3 blokes can man handle it just.. its plenty big to hit the reef aswell as creek fish
    That's probably the biggest boat you can man handle for launching and retrieving off river banks/beaches etc.get stuck on a sandbar you can push it off ok.

If you used a 4.8m plate then your a bit limited with creek launching and man handling it as its a bit heavy. Just something to consider.

I have a mate with a 4.3m webster fisher. I think i'll be getting one of these for cape trips.
    A lot more fishing room for their size.
    goes through the chop quicker so you can get out to the close in reefs easier.
    very shallow draft to being twin hull.

That's a helluva trailer under a 480. If you want under 5.0 have a look at the Sea Jay 468 Avenger. I've had a play in one and its an awesome little boat.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks again.

Flex - that's very good advice and you're 100% right regarding the trailer. Its not just the trailer destroying itself but also the damage it can cause to the boat sitting on top of it. Last trip to the Cape we bent and axle on the trailer and opened up a 5cm crack along the keel of the boat. Too much weight distributed on too little areas. Also, very valid point regarding having the ability to drag the boat off a bank. Ive also unwillingly overnighted in a couple of creeks Id prefer not to have done. However, I just cant stop hearing the echoes of the prayers I've made offshore for another foot of boat and 100kg behind me. I think Im going to end up slightly bigger than the 460 Stacer Ive been running and just pack a few more beers than I would for a day trip.

Aussiebasser - the Avenger is a real nice boat but I just cant get past that open style transom for fear of a wave coming through/over the back. It would have to be the 490 Velocity sports if I went Sea Jay.

Nick

Best boat &lt;5m for FNQ River and Reef

Main reason I went for straight transom in mine was because it already had two big scuppers for self draining so if water did come in it goes straight back out.

Obviously if you don't go to plate boat you probably won't have self draining deck so yes it would be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by longone View Post
    Thanks again.

Flex - that's very good advice and you're 100% right regarding the trailer. Its not just the trailer destroying itself but also the damage it can cause to the boat sitting on top of it. Last trip to the Cape we bent and axle on the trailer and opened up a 5cm crack along the keel of the boat. Too much weight distributed on too little areas. Also, very valid point regarding having the ability to drag the boat off a bank. Ive also unwillingly overnighted in a couple of creeks Id prefer not to have done. However, I just cant stop hearing the echoes of the prayers I've made offshore for another foot of boat and 100kg behind me. I think Im going to end up slightly bigger than the 460 Stacer Ive been running and just pack a few more beers than I would for a day trip.

Aussiebasser - the Avenger is a real nice boat but I just cant get past that open style transom for fear of a wave coming through/over the back. It would have to be the 490 Velocity sports if I went Sea Jay.

Nick
    You can option a pod on any of them.
    Velocity is a softer riding hull though.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Valid points Skusto/Basser

Have a look at the Aquamaster boats.

They are light enough for 2 guys (minimal gear) to push off a sand bank but solid enough to head offshore especially around fnq.

Thanks Marto, they look good!

One of those centre consoles in a side console configuration would be great!

Nick