Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Online or In a Store - (new to fishing / boating)

Buying Online or In a Store - (new to fishing / boating)

Hi Guys,
    I'm news to fishing/boating I have recent bought a rod and really love the fishing. However, I'm starting to realise that this hobby is going to get expensive. So when you buy gear do you guys prefer to buy online or go into a shop. Also, my friend has a boat and has offered to take me out as a present i was going to buy him a set of rod holders hey are 316 steel and got for about 61 on ebay for a set of 4. In a store however, they are close to $30 each. What products do you guys recommend buying in a store and which ones online.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question.

Re: Buying Online or In a Store - (new to fishing / boating)

Tux I have bought online items way cheaper than the store's.
    Sometimes the quality of items are different to what you see in the pic. That's why I buy things like this through a store to see what I'm buying.
    But when I buy a known brand item like simrad it's always cheaper online.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Ausfish mobile app

I spend money at both, but tend to spend more on line these days.
    Mostly because on line I can get what I want, and often cheaper. In the shops, often out of stock, or just dont stock what I want.

Mate where possible I try and buy in my local tackle store purely for the reason I would hate it to disappear

Free Membership

for stuff like your stainless rod holders and boat hardware I just buy on ebay or wherever it is cheapest. for fishing stuff I still use ebay, BUT I know what rods and reels I am looking at and what brands and models are good and what are rubbish. There are lots of no name brands on ebay, avoid them and stick to your local shop if you are unfamiliar with what is good and what isnt.

Thanks guys. Safe to say if its a know brand then its safe to buy online else hit the tackle shop?

I can kind of see that buying online will become the only option available to us (because all the local shops are gone) and then online prices will just go up and up, and we won't have any other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tux103 View Post
    Thanks guys. Safe to say if its a know brand then its safe to buy online else hit the tackle shop?
    Up to a point yes, but be careful buying a "known" brand from some operator that seems dodgy and way too cheap, plenty have been caught out by copies of items sold as genuine.

I'll chime in and backup the view that we need to support local business or they will disappear. Don't need to be extremist on it but aware.
    Eg: Bought an ABU Rocket 6500 online because they are a niche and locals dont stock em because of low turnover. Reel arrived and I took it to a local business who sold me a perfectly matched rod based on his expertise. It's that expertise and quick availability of most items we'll lose if local businesses go under .

Tackle store in Brissy shutting it's doors as we speak. I prefer over the counter but I do shop on line as well - but only in Australia unless absolutely no one has what I am looking for and only if I am happy to take the punt on quality or I know what I am getting.

Tux, a lot of the question needs to be answered in relation to what specifically you want to buy.

As a lot of us know, physically touching the rod, reel etc is an advantage. Getting good advice from your local tackle shop is invaluable. Some local tackle shops sell online as well as in store.

Knowing exactly what you want helps and sometimes, as stated above, you cannot find these products in store. let's also consider warranties...... online buyers beware here. !!!!

If you are new to fishing, I recommend forming a good relationship with your local tackle shop... visit them often and even if you don't buy anything, pop in and ask about new products, fishing reports and any " specials ". Ask if they have a Facebook page, website or Ebay store ?

From a different perspective, being mine, I rarely visit a tackle store these days. I make rods, lures, sinkers etc and service my own reels. I have narrowed down my target fish and locations and buy tackle and equipment to service those parameters. Long time fishers always have way too much tackle, but it is the nature of the beast.

Now, also if you are confident in your specific needs, troll Gumtree for some bargains and also keep an eye out for the Boaties markets around Brisbane. Never be shy to ask a question here about reels, rods, line and terminal tackle.

Again, I buy hooks etc in bulk and online ( boxes of 1,000 ). I know exactly what I want and where to get them. Reels, new ones from a tackle store... 2nd hand from Ebay or Boaties market.

My only advice is really try to avoid buying Chinese made stuff....... I know some of it will do the job, but in the end, you want quality products and those command a quality price, but it is a good investment.

Rod Holders... again, you need to know exactly what you require. I went down this road last year and bought a few that were " not suitable " . In the end I had them custom made and are perfect. They cost about 1 & 1/2 times more than store bought ones, but I have confidence in these will last and do the job they are required to do. The lanyards for the reels that sit in the rod holders were home made, as there was nothing in stores to suit what I needed.

You will get a lot of advice both here and in store. You will eventually figure out the good and bad. Starting fishing is more of a whole of life adventure....... enjoy.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If my local store wont price match i will buy it online. Gives the store the option of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal View Post
    If my local store wont price match i will buy it online. Gives the store the option of my business.
    Let's take into consideration..... postage ??

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I will try to support my favourite tackle store - but they need to prove themselves and make obvious reasons why I should open up my wallet instead of being at home typing www. In sales, we call it " value proposition" where it isn't purely the monetary value but the service and often immaterial costs that are difficult to place a value on. Examples, including my own experiences - buying a reel and being asked what fish I am targeting, correct line recommended, then spooled onto my new reel at no extra charge which was very close to the online price, I did check. That store won my business vs another store who didn't ask me any other questions around on- selling line or rod when my enquiry was about the fishing reel. Some retail staff seriously need training, I am not expecting to be treated like the queen and I don't like wasting their time if I am only browsing, but seriously, I may as well talk to Siri to get more intelligent responses which tips in favour of on line shopping. The retailer often offers nothing to encourage me to shop there. But I am happy to spend more if I have recognised the extra value of service I am talking about.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app
    Last edited by Scalem; 28-03-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: R

Hi guys,
    What do you think about
    These rod holders 316 30 degree Rod holders