Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean 26 v 7.5m Plate alloy

Re: Caribbean 26 v 7.5m Plate alloy

Been there done that.
    Had a 1991 32ft searay with twins back in 2000.
    Cost me $10k a year to just have it sit in the marina, service, etc etc before I even put fuel in it.......
    I even slipped it at Monty's, the cheapest slipping in Brisvegas and done the antifouling, leg servicing every year myself.
    Expect to pay somewhere between 10 to 20k per year these days, especially if you are looking at 20 plus years old.
    Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it and had a great time in it for 2 years but the novelty soon wears off.
    You'll never fish in anything over 20 plus knots regardless of the sizes your are talking.
    Was a good learning curve. That's why I went back to a large trailer boat.
    Still costs me about $5k a year in maintenance, trailer bearings brakes, roadworthy, servicing etc.
    Plus the misses stays home which is an added bonus......Ooooops I actually said that out aloud
    At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference and only you can make that decision.

Cheers Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Been there done that.
    Had a 1991 32ft searay with twins back in 2000.
    Cost me $10k a year to just have it sit in the marina, service, etc etc before I even put fuel in it.......
    I even slipped it at Monty's, the cheapest slipping in Brisvegas and done the antifouling, leg servicing every year myself.
    Expect to pay somewhere between 10 to 20k per year these days, especially if you are looking at 20 plus years old.
    Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it and had a great time in it for 2 years but the novelty soon wears off.
    You'll never fish in anything over 20 plus knots regardless of the sizes your are talking.
    Was a good learning curve. That's why I went back to a large trailer boat.
    Still costs me about $5k a year in maintenance, trailer bearings brakes, roadworthy, servicing etc.
    Plus the misses stays home which is an added bonus......Ooooops I actually said that out aloud
    At the end of the day it boils down to personal preference and only you can make that decision.

Cheers Rob.

What can I say Rob, I just wanted a bigger pie oven lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gezz, nice, but I can say, I see you delivering plenty more pizzas at night

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post

What can I say Rob, I just wanted a bigger pie oven lol

Gezz, nice, but I can say, I see you delivering plenty more pizzas at night
    Nope got the girl back to work these days so no more pizza for me mate

You got two of these to get you along
    This what you meant by twin setup?
    One for you and the missus.
    Interesting to know your top end speed.....

Back in Black - Tony has a similar setup on his Sailfish

2053169_l.jpg

Free Membership

Good point about the cost of the big boat and the associated costs. How many hours a year are you doing on your trailer boat to pay $5000 a year in maintenance??? I do 200 hours a year and my maintenance cost would be under $1000.

Trailer roadworthy 4.5ton $ 220
    2.5ton bearing kits x 4 $ 500
    Brake pads $ 80
    Grease $ 40
    Tyres wear n tear $800 divide 5years $ 160
    Servicing @ $10 per hr for twins x 150hrs per year $ 1500
    Insurance $ 2160 Realised probably still paying insurance for a new $200k plus boat that should be now about $140k
    Trailer Rego $ 196
    Other misc. $ 100

Total $ 4956 PA

Plus add the ongoing costs of your safety gear, flares, fire extinguisher, epirb, boat rego, general boat maintenance which will easily cost you another $1000 plus a year.
    Even add the cost of replacing your $15k trailer after 12 years, another $1250 per year in costs.
    All before you even put fuel in it.

Then do the sums on a moored boat.
    Mooring fees
    Yearly antifouling
    Leg servicing
    Motor servicing
    Insurance
    Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major

I'm sure Scottar will offer to drive down to Vic and do all this for free cause he is a nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    Good point about the cost of the big boat and the associated costs. How many hours a year are you doing on your trailer boat to pay $5000 a year in maintenance??? I do 200 hours a year and my maintenance cost would be under $1000.

The rule of thumb is 10% of the boat's value a year gets burned in ownership and marina fees. It seems pretty accurate over the long term.

Free Membership

Yeah ok. I thought you were talking strictly maintenance, not insurance, rego and depreciation of your trailer, safety gear etc.
    Do you really have to replace the bearings every year on your trailer at $500? Sounds a bit excessive.

I dunno how much all mine would cost. not much
    $50 trailer rego
    $70 boat rego
    $15 grease
    $660 for 2 outboard services
    $15 for flares ($45 / 3 years)
    $500 insurance
    tires I dont know, I expect them to last a long long time, as I only tow about 5000km a year. same with brake pads and wheel bearings, replace when needed, every few years or so. the bigger the boat the bigger the cost.

Trailer roadworthy 4.5ton $ 220
    2.5ton bearing kits x 4 $ 500
    Brake pads $ 80
    Grease $ 40
    Tyres wear n tear $800 divide 5years $ 160
    Servicing @ $10 per hr for twins x 150hrs per year $ 1500
    Insurance $ 2160 Realised probably still paying insurance for a new $200k plus boat that should be now about $140k
    Trailer Rego $ 196
    Other misc. $ 100

Total $ 4956 PA

Plus add the ongoing costs of your safety gear, flares, fire extinguisher, epirb, boat rego, general boat maintenance which will easily cost you another $1000 plus a year.
    Even add the cost of replacing your $15k trailer after 12 years, another $1250 per year in costs.
    All before you even put fuel in it.

Mooring fees
    Yearly antifouling
    Leg servicing
    Motor servicing
    Insurance
    Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major

I'm sure Scottar will offer to drive down to Vic and do all this for free cause he is a nice guy

[QUOTE=Moejoes;1629424
    [/QUOTE]

I have a cruiser in a pen

Mooring fees: 15 metre pen circa $7,300 p.a with unmetered water/electicity floating jettys including finger jetty - use of showers/washer dryer, etc I also bought a mooring for $10K - annual rego and diving inspection circa $750
    Yearly antifouling: every 18 months - circa $6,000 using Micron 66 - prop speed on all props/shafts/rudders/underwater exhausts/trim tabs - compound & polish above/below rub rail using Dulon/ anodes / lift and 1 week on hard
    Leg servicing n/a
    Motor servicing circa $800 in fluids filters and parts for a pair of 8.1 Mercruisers with ZF transmissions - do own servicing
    Insurance $2,000 for boat valued just over $200K
    Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major - see above but a pair of cutlass bearings currently being replaced on 11 year old boat $1,300.

............. Might be safer than getting it towed up.

I look for reliability and hassle free towing.
    Tow 1000kms each trip and do it 10 to 20 times a year and have never ever been stuck on the side of a highway, touch wood.
    I know I'll get a year out of the bearings maybe 1.5years if I want to run the risk of calipers seizing up and snapping off bolts.
    I found if I do it yearly, everything comes apart easily, regrease and have trouble free running for the next 12 months.
    2.5ton bearing collars don't knock out of hubs as easy as standard Holden / Ford bearings do, especially on the side of a road.
    Tyres after 4 to 5 years still have 70% tread but seem to get rounded across the flat part of tread over time. That's when you'll then run the risk of blow outs.
    You will probably get 20 years out of your tyres if you only travel in 50 / 60km zones to the ramp and back and probably don't even need air in them
    Boat & trailer rego seems cheap in Vic.

What sort of Cutlass Bearings are you running for that sort of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I have a cruiser in a pen

Mooring fees: 15 metre pen circa $7,300 p.a with unmetered water/electicity floating jettys including finger jetty - use of showers/washer dryer, etc I also bought a mooring for $10K - annual rego and diving inspection circa $750
    Yearly antifouling: every 18 months - circa $6,000 using Micron 66 - prop speed on all props/shafts/rudders/underwater exhausts/trim tabs - compound & polish above/below rub rail using Dulon/ anodes / lift and 1 week on hard
    Leg servicing n/a
    Motor servicing circa $800 in fluids filters and parts for a pair of 8.1 Mercruisers with ZF transmissions - do own servicing
    Insurance $2,000 for boat valued just over $200K
    Slipping fees plus hard stand Min 3 days up to 2 weeks if something major - see above but a pair of cutlass bearings currently being replaced on 11 year old boat $1,300.

Aussie - Includes cost of fitting as well as the bearings. I must admit I did think of borrowing a Strut Pro and doing it myself - but timing isn't great as busy at work at the moment plus I like to keep the economy going

Sure is a lot of money but I guess there is slip and hard stand fees in that cost.
    I always did my own so it was never an expensive job.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Aussie - Includes cost of fitting as well as the bearings. I must admit I did think of borrowing a Strut Pro and doing it myself - but timing isn't great as busy at work at the moment plus I like to keep the economy going