Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    White spot news flash

    Just on the TV , white spot found off Redcliffe and Deception bay,now this is the result a disease in the wild that we cant get rid off, a lot of government employees should be in jail over this .

  2. #2
    Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane/Ipswich

    Re: White spot news flash

    I retract my previous comment.
    I wonder if the virus has still only been found in tigers in the new areas.

    With the new zones, are we able to take green prawns from the water to our residence if we live within the marked zone?

  3. #3

    Re: White spot news flash

    No it will be in all types of prawns hard backs, clickers, coral prawns, bananas prawns king prawns, this time of the year king prawns leave the bay and sit just over the bar to head out into the deep water off moreton and strady once there out there with white spot the currents will spread the virus south down the nsw coast.

    They have mentioned about takeing of prawns and its still aloud but all commercial prawns will have to be cooked no green prawns,all's i know is that the bay will be stuffed,less prawns means less fish not to mention crabs.

  4. #4
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  5. #5
    Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane/Ipswich

    Re: White spot news flash

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    No it will be in all types of prawns hard backs, clickers, coral prawns, bananas prawns king prawns, this time of the year king prawns leave the bay and sit just over the bar to head out into the deep water off moreton and strady once there out there with white spot the currents will spread the virus south down the nsw coast.

    They have mentioned about takeing of prawns and its still aloud but all commercial prawns will have to be cooked no green prawns,all's i know is that the bay will be stuffed,less prawns means less fish not to mention crabs.
    The last I heard was they had only found traces of the virus in tiger prawns, not in any others.
    Still allowed to prawn crab as per usual, just can't take any uncooked items out of the newly designated zone. At least thats what I get from reading the new report that has gone up.

  6. #6

    Re: White spot news flash

    Zone extends from Caloundra to Tweed Heads. Any green prawns caught within this area are allowed to be sold but only within the area. I would assume this extends to other species that are potential carriers as well.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  7. #7

    Re: White spot news flash

    Shame, I liked the taste of tigers the best.

    What is the kill rate of this virus?
    How quickly this virus kills a prawn?
    Does this mean prawn population in affected areas will be slightly/moderately/significantly reduced?

    Max

  8. #8

    Re: White spot news flash

    Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Shame, I liked the taste of tigers the best.

    What is the kill rate of this virus?
    How quickly this virus kills a prawn?
    Does this mean prawn population in affected areas will be slightly/moderately/significantly reduced?
    Max
    below is from Wikipedia

    WSS is a viral infection of penaeid shrimp. The disease is highly lethal and contagious, killing shrimps quickly. Outbreaks of this disease have wiped out within a few days the entire populations of many shrimp farms throughout the world.

    The virus infects an unusually wide host range of crustaceans.[1] Transmission of the virus is mainly through oral ingestion and water-borne routes in farms (horizontal transmission) and vertical transmission (from infected mother prawns) in the case of shrimp hatcheries. The virus is present in the wild stocks of shrimp, especially in the coastal waters adjacent to shrimp farming regions in Asian countries, but mass mortalities of wild shrimps are not yet to be observed.

    The virus has a wide host range. While shrimp can survive with the virus for extended periods of time, factors like stress can cause the outbreak of WSS. The disease is highly virulent and leads to mortality rates of 100% within days in the case of cultured penaeid shrimps.

    Many crustaceans like crabs (Scylla spp., Portunus spp.), spiny lobsters (Panulirus spp.), crayfish (Astacus spp., Cherax spp.) and freshwater shrimp (Macrobrachium spp.) are reported to be infected with variable severities depending on the life stage of the host and presence of external stressors (temperature, salinity, bacterial diseases, pollutants).Clinical signs of WSS include a sudden reduction in food consumption, lethargy, loose cuticle and often reddish discolouration, and the presence of white spots of 0.5 to 2.0 mm in diameter on the inside surface of the carapace, appendages and cuticle over the abdominal segments.

    There are no available treatments for WSS.

  9. #9

    Re: White spot news flash

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Just on the TV , white spot found off Redcliffe and Deception bay,now this is the result a disease in the wild that we cant get rid off, a lot of government employees should be in jail over this .
    Nothing to do with Government employees, blame your elected politicians whom allow the imports in the name of free trade.

  10. #10

    Re: White spot news flash

    Glad those cheap import prawns were worth it. So f##king sick of our pollies bending over to please the rest of the world while we get screwed

  11. #11

    Re: White spot news flash

    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...BfJHQCdC55DCM:
    All crusteceans (including worms?) must be cooked before leaving the above zone.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  12. #12

    Re: White spot news flash

    Daf info - the zone map and the faq pdf covers it. https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/animal-in...e-spot-disease
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  13. #13

    Re: White spot news flash

    as if they are going to be able to police that, bloody sad state of affairs

  14. #14

    Re: White spot news flash

    Damn, just realised this means I cant take shrimp home from Lake Baroon and take them back to use on the next trip. It is just outside of the zone.

    I will have to make some sort of a keeper pot to leave them in in the dam.

  15. #15

    Re: White spot news flash

    So are you allowed to crab in the southern parts of Moreton bay?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us