Thread: Recommendations for best hard body or soft plastic for Flatties?

Recommendations for best hard body or soft plastic for Flatties?

Hi guys,

Just after some advice re flatties. Is there one tried & tested lure you would recommend for the lizards?
    I will be land based if that helps at all.

Re: Recommendations for best hard body or soft plastic for Flatties?

being land based, I would stick with plastics - cheaper to replace, can be rigged "snagproof" (as best possible anyway) and can typically be cast further. Almost anything as far a tail is concerned will work for flathead IMO - they can't help themselves. I do like the Z-Man curly tails though in the 5 inch size. If I had to pick a hardbody it would be hard to go past a Lively lures Micro Mullet. Personally pink or orange is always a goto colour for flat ones but it really doesn't seem to matter much.

80 or 100mm squidgy wrigger in bloodworm colour deadsticked is very hard to beat.
    Jack.

Cheers scottar, I will check them out mate

Free Membership

DOA CAL blood worm curl tail 3 inch
    Atomic Plazos avocado green or blood worm flick baits 3.5 inch
    motoroil Zman streakz curltail 3.5 inch
    100-120 wriggler

if you are fishing flats I like the Strike Pro Flatz in A53 colour.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Lively lures Micro Mullet. Personally pink or orange is always a goto colour
    Agree with that. Slow trolled with the electric works for me. Soft plastic choice over the years would have to be 50mm Squidgy fish (paddletail) in pink.

Hard to go past micro mullet, made on the sunshine coast and flathead magnets.
    I but mine directly off the bloke who makes them, but you can find them in any decent tackle shop.

https://livelyluresonline.com.au/cat...-fishing-lures

For soft plastics my go to plastic is the atomic prong 3 inch in new penny on a no1 1/4 oz head, retrieve with 3 small jerks and rest for a few seconds, everything eats this placcy..

Hey guys, just a quick update. I have picked up a few of the recommendations above, I will be giving them a crack tomorrow.I landed a nice 37cm Grassy Sweetlip earlier today just on squid which was a nice surprise. I did try an upload a pic, but I think the file is to large. I will try again later.
    I am staying at Amity point for a few days

Not unusual to see a few flat ones in the area south of the jetty - also not unusual to see stonefish in the same area so be careful if you are wading.

My go to is Squidgie Paddle Tail in Drop Bear colour, when nothing else is working I reach for the Drop Bear. Probably because my first flathead (68cm) on plastics was with a Drop Bear.

It would be interesting to see how many peoples favourite would be the one they caught their first fish on.

Pick one from the suggestions above and be confident that you are going to catch a fish today.

Let us know how you get along.

Cheers

I have caught Flatties on both plastics and hardbodies and I find that the main thing is to have lure in the water near them. Curl tails, paddle tails and straight tails all work. Atomic prongs are one of my all time favourites and have accounted for some decent flatties. My biggest fish though have been caught trolling hard bodies and my son got a 78cm on a pink and shiny micro mullet and I got a 79 the week after on a Rapala deep diver x rap. About 4cm long. The Micro's shed weed really well and the x raps dive really well and have great movement. Paddle tails are great in plastics and would be my go to but at the end of the day bright coloured and heavy jig head weighted lures attract the attention of decent flatties.