Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 7410 which transducer ??

Garmin 7410 which transducer ??

looking at a Garmin 7410 ( comes with a boat ) just seeking out transducer options and user experiences with this unit.

usually fish 30 - 80 meters do the odd deep drop in 120 plus but not very often.
    would like to pick up small rubble and bottom changes at moderate speed ( 25 - 35 kph) even better if it could pick up wonky holes.

any thoughts?

BigE

Re: Garmin 7410 which transducer ??

a fair bit of experience with this unit. its a good piece of kit . plenty of options up for it.
    id be going the GT51M transducer for those times your wanting to punch down a bit deeper in perticular. 600w medium chirp with 260/455 chirped side vu. a good unit

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

What sort of boat BigE?? I find the GT51 runs out of puff at 80M and changed up to a B175M which would nail your requirements
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Free Membership

the regular sonar is pushed out at 80-160khz on the GT51. Id be very surprised and disappointed if 80m was its max depth! It should be closer to 180m. unless you are talking about the down and side VU imaging which runs at 445-465khz. Then Yeah this would probably run out of puff at 80 or less.

Sure you can hit 180M with a GT51, just don't expect to sound fish. If you want to chase fish deeper than 80 you need a 1kw
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Gary
    Looking at a 2200 Yalta has a 7410 in the dash. I think it has a GT 50 trans which i think is the bottom of the range.

BigE

Moose
    thanks the GT51 m look like a step up from the GT 50 any guide on cost and any cabling issues?

Free Membership

1kw transducer for 80m?

I dont agree with you at all. unless the GT51 is a complete lemon there is something seriously wrong with the settings. You do not need a 1kw transducer in any circumstance to use in water +80m deep. in that depth a 1kw transducer could be worse because the narrow angle wont show as much. I can see bait fish on my elite 7 down to 140m. this is a 250w sounder. my HDS I can see individual marlin 200m down, which is a 500w sounder. both use a 600w transducer, but can only power it to 250w and 500w respectively. I dont know what sonar you have, but its more likely to be your sonar isnt powerful enough to show detail beyond 80m, not a transducer problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Sure you can hit 180M with a GT51, just don't expect to sound fish. If you want to chase fish deeper than 80 you need a 1kw

Have a spare TM 260 (1KW ) but dont know if it compatible with the 7410 garmin unit. Antone know if it possible to hook a TM 260 to 2 head units (both Garmin) one is a 750s and the other is the 7410 garmin.??

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Have a spare TM 260 (1KW ) but dont know if it compatible with the 7410 garmin unit. Antone know if it possible to hook a TM 260 to 2 head units (both Garmin) one is a 750s and the other is the 7410 garmin.??

BigE

Not at the same time. The 7410 does support "normal" 50/200 KHz transducers so it should work. I would simply turn off the sounder in the 750 and use it as gps only.

Free Membership

I hope the TM260 is compatible with the garmin, as the garmin is a 1kw unit. It would be a powerful combo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post

BigE

yeah the 7410 can run the TM260 using a GSD26 adaptor block to a blue 8 pin plug.
    larger 1kw transducers have better elements "ok better is subjective dont read to much into that word" and can provide some good results.. that said.. transducers also have... shelf lives... and over time return less quality than when new.. so depending on hwo much run time that tm260 has it could be in a bit of a funk.

as for the gt51.. no problems. 30ft cable from memory.. hitting decent depths inst much of an issue. "the sea bed is a pretty big object to bounce off"

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Moose
    The TM 260 is relatively new ( 12 mths old and about 50 hrs tops) I think your on the money 750 for waypoints with that sweet touch screen interface for entering marks and the 7410 / TM260 for finding reds.

Liked you demo on the 7410 especially manipulating the hardness of the bottom returns wondering if this will help when looking for wonky holes and gravel beds in the paddock?

BigE

BigE

Moose probably doesn't know what a wonky hole is - no Moose, that is not what they are........... . You won't know till you give it a rip BigE. As you no doubt found with the 750, Garmin's "standard" transducers can leave a bit to be desired. Using the normal type 1kw transducer will be interesting. I can't say from what I have seen that chirp has impressed me when it comes to bottom definition - fish definition definitely but not bottom. What was the performance of the 750 like with the 1kw as far as discrimination of the bottom is concerned?

! KW transformed the 750, was really dissapointed with the std trans but the touch screen for entering waypoints (just like a keyboard) and the GPS were outstanding.
    I would 1KW the 750 again if using it as the primary sounder gave really good definition (fish and bottom and even snapper leads)

seen some really good shots of wonkys on side view units but i think a lot of skill in the set up is required.

BigE