Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fined for not wearing seat boat at the ramp..... watch out

Free Membership

Re: Fined for not wearing seat boat at the ramp..... watch out

Its ok to buy a couple of shackles for the price of a beer as you say. But a lot of people wouldn't even know about it and would just be using the shackles that originally came with the trailer. Thats the unfair part for alot of punters.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Safety chain legislation has changed as well I think but yes - it's a bloody minefield and can be excessively difficult to get a straight answer out of anyone in a position of authority that is actually fact and not their opinion. My take is that the trailer manufacturer has fitted the chains and as such they should be "fit for purpose" and if the shite hits the fan, that will be the legal avenue I would be pursuing. As for the shackles - hey if anyone wants to get into a stand up barney with an enforcement officer over a couple of $10 D shackles, that's the individuals call. I didn't see the point myself given the outlay - cost less than a couple of beers these days depending on where you are. Unfortunately the stupid legislation is here to stay - given the litigious path that we as a society have chosen to follow it will get well worse before it gets better. I don't like it any more than the next man but standing on the side of a road arguing with a copper is not really the place or time to do anything about it so why bother provided it's easy enough to comply with.

Not sure what Vic Roads publishes in regard to this but the Qld Transport Safe towing guide has the info in it.

Sheeesh. Whats wrong with a bit of good ol fencing wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Sheeesh. Whats wrong with a bit of good ol fencing wire.

Nuffin..........if yoush ish buldin a funce.

Free Membership

The weakest point on my trailer system is the holes on the tow bar for the safety chains. I bent one dragging a medium size log. Since then i have welded a large (unrated) shackle on the bottom of the tow bar tongue. Safety chains connect to my welded on shackle as well as the original holes on the tow bar. If i had a photo id post it. Works great for fire wood too because you can hook your snig chain to the shackle as its big enough for the chain and hooks to go through it without taking the bolt off.

One of my better inventions.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    The weakest point on my trailer system is the holes on the tow bar for the safety chains. I bent one dragging a medium size log. Since then i have welded a large (unrated) shackle on the bottom of the tow bar tongue. Safety chains connect to my welded on shackle as well as the original holes on the tow bar. If i had a photo id post it. Works great for fire wood too because you can hook your snig chain to the shackle as its big enough for the chain and hooks to go through it without taking the bolt off.

One of my better inventions.
    or you could use one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

The seat belt story is starting to do the rounds on all the fishing pages and I am wondering if anyone knows if old mate contested it in court?
    I agree that they do need to add another exemption in the legislation for issues like this. Something simple like the shortest distance to de rigging zones under a certain speed (ie: 5 or 10kph?) at public boat ramps is exempt.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Next it will be a fine for not having a secure load because you haven't put your straps on when leaving the ramp or not having your light board on. It's getting ridiculous.

Re: Fined for not wearing seat belt at the ramp..... watch out

It will be on 7 news tonight apparently . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Next it will be a fine for not having a secure load because you haven't put your straps on when leaving the ramp or not having your light board on. It's getting ridiculous.
    Haha thats what i said in a comment of facebook. If they really wanted to treat the ramp to rigging zone as a public road then you would have to do everything whilst the boat is on the trailer in the water. Bit hard putting strap, light board and prop cover etc on in the water on the trailer and I don't think the other ramp users would be too happy. .

Strange occurance the other day at the ramp, had to park in a side street, on returning went to the car and started the motor, saw a car behind that thought I was pulling out but I waved them around. They pulled up beside me and it turned out to be 2 cops in unmarked car. They asked me if I was coming or going, I said I was about to retrieve the boat. They just left, I was left wondering whether they thought I had launched and in leaving the ramp hadn't put my seat belt on. I guess I'll never know as they just drove off without another word.

Here is a link to an article about this subject. The Police were at Scarby ramp a few weeks back and talking to a young bloke who had just driven 20 meters from the water to the rigging area. They did not appear to write him a ticket and had left by time I towed my boat to the rigging area. (His missus was smoking so maybe they just wanted a closer look...) Ridiculous application of the law. How many low speed accidents have you seen at a boat ramp between the water and the rigging area? Ever?!?

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...20a2f0ca2f0daf

Same bloke in the that article that this post is about from back in mid march. For some reason it's only just started to gain some exposure on social media.

It's certainly not in the public interest to police this and I would think any Magistrate would agree. It would cost you to get that far which is why the coppers do it.

I would have to wonder WHY , did something he did previously to loading his boat on the trailer or was there some exchange about something he did . On a Sunday I would have thought that quit a few people would have been moving boats and trailers around in that area ,and yet it seems no one else was booked for driving without a seat belt or was there .. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Sunday is for church mate. Of couse it wasn't busy. Right?