Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solo launching hints and tips

solo launching hints and tips

Having a bit of a think about the next boat which will be 6 -7 m (halfcab) and was chasing everyone's thoughts and tips on solo launching boats of this size without causing undue grief and drama at the boat ramp for both myself and everyone else concerned.

so far i been thinking all things boat catch and winch post steps would be the most practical things to add to the shopping list to assist with solo launching.

any thoughts ??

BigE

Free Membership

Re: solo launching hints and tips

i dont have any trouble at all launching and retrieving on my own. Launching I just back in as usual, un hook, drive off, park at the ramp. half the time I just push the boat off the trailer and drag it to the ramp. Just back the trailer down slightly further for this. retrieving solo, I back the trailer a good bit deeper than if i was driving it on and just pull the boat up onto the trailer. i can usually pull the boat to within about a meter of the winch and winch the rest. Its easy as. I have a redco sportsman and it rolls on and off the rollers easier than taking a crap, and self levels well too. Prior to this I had a quintrex 510 on a skid trailer and the bigger boat is easier to launch and retrieve on my own. When I am with other people sometimes I will drive it on and sometimes I will push it on, depends on the ramp, often just pushing the boat on the trailer is quicker than driving it on.

I dont have a boat catch or anything, and even solo I am probably quicker than most people at the ramp. I absolutely hate waiting for mugs at the ramp who fart arse around, so I pride myself on taking as little time as possible.

In my case the launch is pretty simple (Jervis Bay murrays ramp). get the boat off the trailer, walk or motor to the nearest tie up point depending on tide.
    back to the trailer and park, then back to boat.
    At end of day tie up to wharf, get trailer and reverse process. Best investment was the Retrievermate rollers on back of trailer which hold the nose in the central position while I wind the boat on. means I don't hold anyone up for long while I am on the ramp.
    recent upgrade of Murrays means there are many more tie up points compared to a few years back, but as an old retired fart I'm usually there away from peak hour. Mine's 4.5 metres long.
    Sometimes have to wait a little while for my turn to retrieve.
    I also replaced all my roller axles with stainless steel rod axles which makes things a lot easier and quicker.

yep I dont like the ramp rage to end off a good day.

BigE

Will all depend on your preference of drive on or winch on and your chosen ramp location - pontoon/no pontoon, sand for beaching etc.

Most of it will come down to trailer set up. I winch on and use the winch to control launch and my local ramp has a pontoon - the walkway down the trailer makes it pretty easy and by making sure I reverse down close enough to the pontoon going between the trailer and the pontoon is as easy as stepping across. For a single handed launch I try to use the down current side so that the tide pulls the boat away from the wharf. For a retrieve the opposite so the tide pushes it on.

L andR Boatlatch.

Best money I ever spent on the boat.

Cheers
    Brendan

Had an L and R Boat latch on our last boat. Fantastic
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    L andR Boatlatch.

Best money I ever spent on the boat.

Cheers
    Brendan

Stcky keel rollers help, boat sits still when take off winch rope and safety chain so just jump in and drive off, big mistake greasingkeel rollets as boat slides off without you in it!

I drive on and off everytime. 6m fibre glass. Just back down, unwind about a foot of winch, walk down side of boat and start motor kick into forward to hold, unhook winch. Drive off and tie up. Walk back to car and park.

Coming back opposite, tie up back, walk to car and back down, wlak back to boat, drive on within about a meter of winch post, leave just in gear to hold, winch up last bit, hook up properly turn off/raise motor and drive away.

Takes a little longer to walk back and forth from the tie up position to the car when you are by yourself but if you run when busy or walk briskly no one seems to mind. Especially if you seem to be doing everything as quickly as possible.

Had the L&R boat latch on previous boat and was great but found the Katchya boat latch a bit cheaper and honestly have found it better. (i have no affiliation whatsoever with Katchya)

Ausfish Bronze Member willfraser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mate I drive mine on leave her in gear tell I hook up my winch pop her out of gear and take up whatever is left with the winch

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I let my Wife hold the rope it makes her feel important.
    Unhook & let it rip, 20 seconds to undo the shackle & 5 seconds to launch.

If solo I hold the rope myself but that adds a little time to the whole deal.

Boatcatch mate.... They are unreal....

Check this video out

Best addition to the new trailer
    This was my first time retrieving the boat, hence the double check of the catch.
    Cheers
    "Reef Hustler" - Seafarer Victory 6.0m & 225hp Honda

I don't think you could beat a latch thingie of some sort for power loading.

Save having a latch contraption, splice up a rope off your mudguard or mudguard area that goes up to a stern cleat. When retrieving you can reach over with a gaff and grab that rope and put it on your stern cleat. Once you take the power off the motor it should only roll back a foot or two if you have it right. Jump out and do the winch up and put on your safety chain. Job done and you have saved hundreds of dollars.