Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: solo launching hints and tips

Re: solo launching hints and tips

seen this set up at the boat show look simple and tuff.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guess it all depends on whether you want to use it to get onto the boat once it's in the water at the ramp or on a bank as well or just when it is on the trailer. You see a few Cruisecrafts with something like this down one side of the bowsprit - just folds up and is secured to the bow rail when not in use

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261149371285?chn=ps

just looking at launch and retrieve at the ramp ..... thought about mounting it on a swing away mount like a jockey wheel so it can be swung in line with the draw-bar when traveling to allow some more turning circle.

BigE

Boat catch has arrived. Just need to figure out how to climb off the bow down to the trailer without falling off

who has used ant sort of trailer ladder ? and was it successful or just a PITA.

BigE

I just throw a leg over the side and step along the guard then onto the ramp.
    Is there anything that stops you from doing that?
    I reckon I am safer than if I climb up the front.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    seen this set up at the boat show look simple and tuff.

BigE
    Made one similar to the top pic myself a few years back on a previous boat out of 1"galv pipe but can't locate a pic. Was great for solo launch and retrieve until the minister thought i was getting a bit old for fishing alone so now all my trips are supervised

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Guess it all depends on whether you want to use it to get onto the boat once it's in the water at the ramp or on a bank as well or just when it is on the trailer. You see a few Cruisecrafts with something like this down one side of the bowsprit - just folds up and is secured to the bow rail when not in use...
    You mean like this one on my CC Scott?

On the trailer not so useful, needs another rung - and I much prefer to get (spring) up on to the boat via the spare wheel, although this will get more difficult as I get older... errr... I mean more mature .

To get up to the front of the boat from deep water, ok for me but my wife doesn't like it, and again a 4th (lower) rung would be better. Easier to swim round the back and get up that way!

To get on to boat when nosed up on to the beach? Absolutely brilliant!!

Would I have another? You bet. However, a permanent trailer ladder would provide much better means of getting on to the boat when launching, and for not much money I reckon would be worth it ten times over!
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app