Thread: Sand Crabs

Sand Crabs

Being the day before the full moon, I decided to take a few pots up to Bribie chasing sand crabs over the run up tide. It was just on dark when I launched so rather than run a great distance, I decided to stagger the pots through various depths between the entrance to Spinnaker Sound and the bridge. I quickly realised that the current was going to play havoc with the pots in the deeper water so moved all 4 pots into a line in just over 2 metres depth.

The pots were baited with fresh chunks of mac tuna, and I usually give them around a 90 minute soak before running them. I anchored up closer to the bridge and put a line in the water baited with peeled prawn tail. Within a minute or so the line went heavy and I wound a legal sand crab to the back of the boat but he let go of the bait before I could lift it into the boat. Thought to myself that's a good sign. First lift of the pots at 8pm put 6 legal crabs into the ice box. The fishing was fairly quiet with a few undersized grass sweetlip and bream taking the baits and as the tide slowed the knot eels drove me mad.

IT was a nice night to be on the water with just a few scattered clouds and the north-easterly breeze kept any mossies at bay. The 9.30 run of the pots put a few more crabs in the esky, but as the tide topped out the crabs really turned it on. I was going to spend the entire night there, but by mid night figured I had more than enough crabs to keep everyone happy so pulled the pots for the final time and headed in.

Final tally ended up with 32 legal sand crabs for just on 6 hours fishing time. Not as bad way to spend a Sunday evening.

cheers

Jeff

Re: Sand Crabs

Great going Jeff
    Cheers COL

Well done mate.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Some nice size there too, sounds like a good session.

Very nice haul Jeff. What time is lunch on?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Sand crabs r running in Moreton bay