Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar trickle charger options

Re: Solar trickle charger options

I'd hook it up to a fully charged battery & take some Voltage & Current measurements under various conditions.
    A good little experiment.
    Stick it in the shade, angle it away from the Sun a bit or something elegant like put a sticker on the glass.
    Their Max Voltage & Current was probably measured in the Sahara.
    Be our Guinea Pig so we know what to buy.

If it does come with a "controller" it should be in the black box on the back of the panel (if there is one). Worth a quick look under the lid if it easily removable - might save yourself $30.00.

If it's putting out 20VDC then there's no "black box controller" just fork out for a regulator and save yourself the overall headache. 12V batteries need ~13.6V - 14.5V to charge. No more no less, or you risk frying. Mat

My bad, no controller .. just a diode to stop back flow of current (is my guess). So a regulator it is. Now working out the best design (fix the regulator to the boat or make it all portable).
    Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

The best option for maximum efficiency is to have the regulator close to the batteries. Keep in mind it is not unusual for these regulators to consume a small amount of power so if they have no solar supply they will over time flatten the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The best option for maximum efficiency is to have the regulator close to the batteries. Keep in mind it is not unusual for these regulators to consume a small amount of power so if they have no solar supply they will over time flatten the battery.
    Like Scottar says. So get one to permanently hook to the battery/s and have an Anderson plug so that you can plug/unplug the solar panel easily. Mat