Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor Selection

Re: Anchor Selection

Just thinking, on more than a few occasions I've 'anchored' at the Peak in 65M of water with 15Kg mono, makes me wonder just how little it takes to anchor a boat under normal conditions.
    I'm still of a mind that a single 1/4" prong bent at scottar's 10 Cm would hold a newer vsea and my old viking but no sense in going against a known working 5/16" combination.
    One of my mates lost his anchor when he anchored to try & retrieve the anchor he lost the day before, BEAT THAT!

Been using a Manson Supreme the last six months or more. Really liking its holding power compared to ploughs I have been using for about 15 years. I got a hole drilled at the front end so I could trip it. I may have only had it trip once so far, it usually pulls itself out of where it is first. It has allowed me to drop from the usual 8m of 10mm close link chain I used to use back to 6m of 10mm close link. Hopefully with the 2m less I have less chance of getting the chain snagged and then dealing with the shorter length and a bit less weight has been better.

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    Had good success in all conditions with a cooper anchor on a 6 M plate
    Cheers COL
    +1 for the Cooper in any breeze

Apologies if this has (probably) been done before, and I don't want to hijack the OP, but what do people use to retain the chain on the end of the anchor for the trip mechanism.
    If you rig up a "trip" what is the best method if - like in my case, I've got a winch pulling on the anchor at a slight indirect angle.
    1/ I've tried cable ties, the force of the winch just rips them off.
    2/If I use one of the metal oval spring clips I need to leave the chain sag to allow the trip mechanism to work.
    3/ Perhaps some sort of cord would be ok. But I imagine that would wear.
    My trial setup with cable ties - that quickly failed are in the attached picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I used to use multiple wraps of electrical wire. It seemed to hold up alright but I wasn't using a winch.