Thread: Anyone using a m-y wedge or similar?

Anyone using a m-y wedge or similar?

Anyone using a m-y wedge or similar instead of a "transom" saver bracket? http://www.m-ywedge.com my"transom" /hydraulic saver bracket is a pain in the arse to put on and off and one of these would speed up the process a bit. Anyone made there own?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: Anyone using a m-y wedge or similar?

Yep. It's awesome. Had one for a few years and a spare in the boot in case I "forget" it somewhere. Just had them sent over direct from US, ended up pretty cheap. Just make sure your motor can fit one. Mat.

Hi Triple, These little units would be one of the best things around I have had them for a few years now and they are so simple to install. I go on quite a lot of long road trips in my boat/trailer and I got sick of the hassle of a motor support bracket attached to the trailer . The my-wedge simply slips onto the hydraulic ram and takes a few seconds to put on and is independent from the trailer. You can make one up out of a boat roller or some people use a block of wood but the my-wedge is better. Yamaha make their own which is exactly the same as the my-wedge. They are not that cheap through Yamaha I paid $100. . I recently purchased a new 60hp Suzuki 4st and I could not get a transom saver through Suzuki so I got a Yamaha transom saver and after cutting 25mm of the transom saver it fitted perfectly.I'm on to my twentieth boat now and I have had these units onto a few of them and they are great.

What I used was three poly rollers from the boat trailers, the ones in the middle where the boat keel sits on, cut them to size and works a treat. Was looking at getting the m y wedges but this was a lot cheaper.
    Duck

Sent from my PNDP51M10BLK using Ausfish mobile app

I don't see a real lot of difference between something jammed in the trim system to just using the ram as it was designed to do in the first place, that being, hold the motor in one place while hitting chop and waves with a couple of hundred HP trying to yank the motor off the boat....
    Last edited by Noelm; 12-03-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo

OH, and just to be clear, I am not knocking what people use, just expressing my opinion on the reason why they are used (for those who say I always have bad things to say)

OK call me dumb as dog shit, but how does this piece of equipment reduce the stress on the transom whilst trailering?

A transom in itself should be amply strong enough to handle any forces applied to it when trailering, the forces applied to it whilst boating should far exceed the trailering forces.

These are nothing but a lock to raise the leg when trailering and in no way what so ever reduce stresses on the transom.....simply a marketting white lie.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, and just to be clear, I am not knocking what people use, just expressing my opinion on the reason why they are used (for those who say I always have bad things to say)
    Didn't realize you were developing a reputation Noelm but i can see your point that the gizmo doesn't look like it would do much more than reduce the weight on the rams. Just my opinion .

That's why I said hydraulic and "transom" saver, as most people know them as being marketed as a transom saver bracket not a hydaulic saver. The opti doesnt have a flip down bracket like the old johnnos etc for trailering. Will be ordering one now.
    Cheers.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Ausfish Bronze Member

The "wedge" or boat roller modification, is only to take stress off the hydraulics, nothing to do with transom stress and the better option.
    The "transom saver" contraption ( which is a long fork type thing which is attached to trailer and the fork bit which sits under the motor leg does nothing to help the transom (which doesn't need it anyway) or the hydraulics as any movement of the boat while trailering is transmitted to the leg of the motor.

Free Membership

I have a my wedge. Its great. the outboard trims lower than it would while sitting on locking arm that is on the outboard. The manual says the locking arm is only for storage and not designed for towing. Prior to buying the my wedge I always used the locking arm while towing on 2 different boats and never had a problem, but for $50 I bought a my wedge. The reasoning behind it being a "transom saver" is that when the outboard is trimmed all the way up and sitting on the locking arm, it makes a lot of leverage when bouncing along the road as fully trimmed the leg is a long way away from the transom. As people have already stated a transom should be strong enough for this anyway, so it is a lot of marketing really, but that is the reasoning behind it.