Thread: Sarca bow roller

Sarca bow roller

G'day guys, I've recently picked up a #2 Sarca anchor for my half cabin. I've had a look at pricing for a bow roller to suit but I don't see myself paying $400 for one.
    What else works??

Plastics fantastic but bait is better.

Re: Sarca bow roller

I have the pivoting one above the Sarca in that photo - slightly modified. I cut down a stainless U-bolt the right size and welded it over the end to stop the rope coming out as with the height of the Sarca, you can't put the pin in. You also have to be careful as the anchor comes over the roller as the shank of the Sarca will jamb in the roller if it comes up sideways and doesn't turn quick enough as you retrieve - you only do this once as it is an absolute prick to get out - had to put on shoes and kick the crap out of it.

I had a no2 Sarca and I would never use one again, dragged in sand and got stuck in rocks, much better anchors for either or both imo
    But I have ended up with one of their bow rollers on my last 2 boats. They have been problem free despite some serious pressure.
    Good luck with your hunt for an alternative, I did a google search found some possible alternatives, but quality is important for this part of the boat so hopefully someone can help with some more useful info LOL
    Cheers
    Rod

Similar to Scottar although used plate welded on and reused the pin, wish i'd thought of the U bolt idea. Don't use the sarca any more and I do have a spare #2 never used going for $80 if anyone is interested.

My failed mod attempt looked fine but didn't work on a similar bow roller. The anchor wouldn't release. I cut a piece of 6mm polycarb and with heat bent it over to suit. IThis was for a rocna (similar but way better to the Sarca) but unfortunately my combo didn't work. I don't weld and had all tools and materials on hand so this was a good option for me had it worked. Give it a try before wasting time like I did
    Cheers
    Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also have a sarca #2 and I use it with a bell marine bow sprite.
    Works well for me cost was approx $230.
    Only problem with it is it can cut into the anchor line if the rope comes in on an angle. But can be modified to overcome that issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky - Northside marine @ Deagon.

He has a stainless bow sprit that is perfect for this application and half the price!

I have been using on my victory with my sarca and winch hassle free for a few years now

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    My failed mod attempt looked fine but didn't work on a similar bow roller. The anchor wouldn't release. I cut a piece of 6mm polycarb and with heat bent it over to suit. IThis was for a rocna (similar but way better to the Sarca) but unfortunately my combo didn't work. I don't weld and had all tools and materials on hand so this was a good option for me had it worked. Give it a try before wasting time like I did
    Cheers
    Rod
    I fitted the u bolt on the aft portion of the roller. Works fine unless the pick comes up sideways and doesn't turn quick enough
    Bowsprit.jpg

Finicky

Have one in the shed if your still looking for one.

BigE

Finicky
    couldn't work out how to attach them to the private message so added them to your post.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the help Big E.
    I appreciate it.
    Fits great and I look forward to giving it a workout this winter off Brissy and up North.
    I'll PM you when I head to Caloundra wide again and we can compare the Yaltas.
    And I owe you a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem Finicky , look forward to a fish mate , the 2200 is coming along fine really happy so far.

PS - I drink the Bundy rum kind of beer

BigE