Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar trickle charger options

Solar trickle charger options

Hi Guys

Looking for a simple solar solution to trickle charge my starting battery.

Any suggestions for a make/panel size ... battery is Exide MSST27 Calcium Glass Matt 730CCA.

Hopefully just simple alligator clap onto the battery type of solution ... just to keep it healthy and charged when not in use.

Many thanks

Steve
    Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

Re: Solar trickle charger options

I just bought this one.
    Used it for the first time one the weekend and it was putting more into my battery that the fridge was taking out.
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...50-Watt/392422
    Brett

Looks good Brett ... what sort of length are the cables ?

The charger cable is only 5m to the aligator clips. IMHO it could be longer but it wouldn't take much to extend.
    In doing my research there were a few Internet reviews of the product where the regulator failed out of the box - like maybe even 20%. Supacheap swap them over no problem as they have the regulator on the shelf - it's just a pain. Mine seems to be going well after 4 days of usage. I think you get a good one or a bad one.
    Brett

Yeah, I saw that review. Bit scary if the regulator fails, it could cook your battery ... not cool.

I believe there is an alarm on the regulator ... not much help if the boat is in storage ... "in storage, no one can hear you scream" !

Have you seen the dual c-tek chargers? Bit exy but can connect solar panel straight into one connection and charge source (E.g. alternator) into the other and it will take care of the rest. I don' t have one but on the cards later on....seems like a good bit of gear

You probably only need less than 1 Amp to keep it happy.

This is plenty for maintance/trickle charging..
    $50 https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...123&item=80021
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

In relation to Bugman's post

You can / could get a further 20% off using the code word CARS in the ebay checkout. It looks like they've changed the solar reg too.

Its still a fair sized unit for a basic trickle charge I'd just go a 10 or 20 watt one.

Cheers

So i plunged in on the panel that Triple highlighted. $50 seems like a bit of a bargain.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...123&item=80021

Before i I hooked it up to the battery, I whacked the multi meter on it and it says that it's banging out 20volts. Shouldn't it be less than that connecting directly to my battery ?

Quote Originally Posted by smclaren View Post
    So i plunged in on the panel that Triple highlighted. $50 seems like a bit of a bargain.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...123&item=80021

Before i I hooked it up to the battery, I whacked the multi meter on it and it says that it's banging out 20volts. Shouldn't it be less than that connecting directly to my battery ?
    You can get a cheap regulator that will bring the voltage back to a more acceptable level...

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-6a-bat...anels/p/AA0348
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

You will need to go out and get yourself a solar regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Bare panels deliver 20 v, more or less. You will need a solar regulator to bring it back to battery charging voltage, or buy a set which has the regulator integrated already.

In a situation where a battery is not fully charged, it would load that panel down to the point no regulator is needed - small outboard charging rectifiers will quite happily put out 100+ volts unloaded at revs but when connected the battery loads them down. However, once the battery is fully charged over an extended period of time it is possible it would start to overcharge and a regulator would be a good idea.

Thanks guys. I thought as much and is why I tested the output before connecting it up. These panels come with 'controllers' and no explanation what that means. My guess was that the controller was a diode that prevents the battery sending the charge back the other way, which pvc's don't like. I probably could get away with no regulator for some time, but could cook a battery in the long run as well, just as Scottar suggests. $30 insurance is good.