Thread: Using Elite - 5HDI as a chartlpotter only?

Using Elite - 5HDI as a chartlpotter only?

Hi all

I am looking for some pretty basic advice.

I currently use a Lowrance HDS-5 nonGPS Series 1 as a sounder. My current chartplotter is an ancient HummingbirdNS10 that has effectively died and I am using Samsung iPAD with Navionics as the GPS. With a permanent power supply and running it through the phone it works reasonably well and for $100 I consider it pretty much disposable.

I have been given an Elite-5HDI which is a combined fishfinder and GPS Chartplotter and I
    like the idea of using the Gold card with the Elite

I am considering to continue to use the HDS-5 as a sounder and to run the Elite in GPS mode only. If I do run the Elite in GPS mode only – is it sufficient just to run another power cable to the Elite it or is somethingelse also required?

Thanks

Stevet

Re: Using Elite - 5HDI as a chartlpotter only?

There is usually an option in a menu somewhere to turn off the sounder. Turn it off and you are good to go.

Scottar Thank you kindly

nope. plug it in away you go

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi SteveT,
    Quick question about your Samsung Ipad for navionics. I have a Hummingbird 788CI HD DI in which the GPS has had the biscuit. It sounds like a cheap alternative to use an Ipad as a GPS rather than the expense of a new unit. Does the Ipad pick up navionics without telstra signal?. I am in the Torres Strait with nos internet or mobile signal while at sea. Any suggestions
    Thanks Rob