Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trawlers in the Pine River

Trawlers in the Pine River

I have heard, and understand, that in certain parts of the Pine trawlers are allowed to operate. On a recent trip with my neighbour, however, we were casting prawn nets in the hole just west of the bridge and local trawlermen were not amused. Turned their boat around and came right up behind us missing the back of our boat by less than two metres. Didn't have time to grab the mobile and take a photo.
    Yes, it is hard for them to make a living and I don't object to them being there, but the river is for everyone to use and not put at risk this way.

Snappas

Re: Trawlers in the Pine River

Quote Originally Posted by Snappas View Post
    I have heard, and understand, that in certain parts of the Pine trawlers are allowed to operate. On a recent trip with my neighbour, however, we were casting prawn nets in the hole just west of the bridge and local trawlermen were not amused. Turned their boat around and came right up behind us missing the back of our boat by less than two metres. Didn't have time to grab the mobile and take a photo.
    Yes, it is hard for them to make a living and I don't object to them being there, but the river is for everyone to use and not put at risk this way.

Snappas
    Didnt u know, they think they own the river. They want the ocean now the rivers.

I thought they were recreational waters.

Authorites wont do anything.

They have had licenses to trawl the rivers a lot longer than chasing prawns in cast nets has been a fashionable exercise. The license that covers the Pine, I believe also covers the Brisbane and Logan rivers as well. Playing devils advocate for a minute - how would your mental state be if every time you established a safe trawl run a tinnie came and parked itself in the way - none too happy at a guess given that there are areas in the Rivers they are not allowed or can't work due to obstructions already. While this in no way is condoning dangerous behavior - which will always occur from a few parties on both sides of this fence - sometimes it's not a bad idea to have a think about what is actually going on over the other side of the fence. A lot of these guy's with small beam trawlers struggle to make a living and support their families - much like we amateurs they too have days where the outlay of going fishing isn't covered by the returns - difference being they have to go home and explain to the wife and kids why there's no food on the table.

I believe I saw that event happen whilst stuck on the highway bridge in traffic
    There were 3 small boats cast netting in an area to the left and this small trawler was trying to muscle in on them.
    From what I seen, in no way did they move into the trawlers line as the other boats were already there cast netting.
    I thought to myself how rude is this trawler but I didn't see the full event as it happened.
    Obviously they are trying to make a living as well.
    Don't most pro fisherman have 2nd jobs as I know I'd starve as well.

Hi Scottar,
    I don't disagree with your view as it is a tough way to make a living. It would be different if I had simply plonked my way in front of his trawl path but I hadn't as he had already trawled through the hole and as it turned out, had cleaned it out and probably would have realised that. He was heading away but did a full circle, came back around behind us and marginally missed our boat. No words were said, just a dangerous manouver. I saw him later further down the river with a crab float caught in his nets...not mine fortunately.
    Most of us that fish the Pine are aware of their presence and respect that. Floats that are put in their way are always at risk and ultimately, people will learn to put them closer to the river bank. There is no excuse for dangerous behaviour regardless of the circumstances.
    Appreciate your views though.

Snappas

A lot of the time trawlers will "work a line" in both directions. Sometimes this is to do with product being at a certain depth, sometimes it is to do with that being the only track along the bottom that is actually safe to drag a net so by jumping in where he has just been through, while not getting into his immediate line you may have still been hampering the line he is working - like I said though - no excuse for dangerous behavior - it's just something they have to deal with even if they aren't happy about it. That said - what you and he class as dangerous may be different as well. Most of these blokes run their boats to within the metre of structure above and below the water all day every day - it can be the difference between making a pay and having to sort a net full of crap or needing a new net. Even when they are working among themselves it's a bit "rubbin is racin". If they don't muscle their way in to where the prawns are - they go home empty - it's certainly not something they reserve for amateurs. Actual collisions almost never happen - almost .

Hi Scottar,
    I don't disagree with your view as it is a tough way to make a living. It would be different if I had simply plonked my way in front of his trawl path but I hadn't as he had already trawled through the hole and as it turned out, had cleaned it out and probably would have realised that. He was heading away but did a full circle, came back around behind us and marginally missed our boat. No words were said, just a dangerous manouver.

Snappas
    Are you saying the trawl guy was working that hole first and you came in after he went through and started fishing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Don't most pro fisherman have 2nd jobs as I know I'd starve as well.
    Some do but a lot don't. The guy's we usually deal with are all full time fisherman - and even then they can risk starvation - let alone what happens if they don't make enough to cover winter when everything goes quiet.

For a commercial fisherman to be soo reckless and possibly loose his licence over a small
    piece of water or to even try and intimidate other boaters is WRONG.I think there is a law about being deliberately reckless
    I do see it from their point of view and the struggle is real but if they are struggling so much to put the food on the table sell your licence $200-300,000
    and get a land lovers job it's that simple. We all do what we need to survive and try to get ahead
    you never hear when they get a great haul or a fantastic season just like farmers that sell crops for millions and it only cost them 300,000 for the crop. If it is so hard why do it?? Just my opinion
    happy days ahead summer is coming

It is a relatively short season for a river beam trawler, I can't say i blame him for trying to get the most out of it.
    Outside of the main prawn run they survive on bycatch or bait sales.

Still no excuse to being dangerous though.

Get someone to video his antics next time and forward it to the authorities if he is being dangerous.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    sell your licence $200-300,000
    Your figures are out by a bit for a river beamy and sell to who? Trust me a lot of the older blokes would happily walk away clicking their heels for $300K but a lot could never retire on that amount and know nothing else. Yes, if they have a good season you can make good money but with costs rising, prawn prices being held down due to poor quality imports, ever increasing red tape, area restriction, black marketing etc, the only way to make a million out of it is to start with two IMO.

https://seavinemarine.com.au/product...-l1-0-l3-0-t7/

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Are you saying the trawl guy was working that hole first and you came in after he went through and started fishing it?
    I can now understand why he muscled his way through if the other boats moved in on him
    Only they now the truth.

Pretty standard for that trawler apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Scottar,
    I don't disagree with your view as it is a tough way to make a living. It would be different if I had simply plonked my way in front of his trawl path but I hadn't as he had already trawled through the hole and as it turned out, had cleaned it out and probably would have realised that. He was heading away but did a full circle, came back around behind us and marginally missed our boat. No words were said, just a dangerous manouver. I saw him later further down the river with a crab float caught in his nets...not mine fortunately.
    Most of us that fish the Pine are aware of their presence and respect that. Floats that are put in their way are always at risk and ultimately, people will learn to put them closer to the river bank. There is no excuse for dangerous behaviour regardless of the circumstances.
    Appreciate your views though.

Snappas
    You've jumped in his grave. That's like some clown racing in on my drift pattern and anchoring before I go back to start my run. Looks like he's shown great restraint.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

3 sides to every story. Yours, his and the truth will lie somewhere between the two.

Those river beam trawlers don't exactly move quick or throw up a huge wake, so the distance he passed by should not matter unless were at anchor.

Also suggesting a trawler was trying to muscle in on boats throwing cast nets is laughable. Most of the tinnies in the river just follow everybody else like sheep throwing nets blindly cause they saw somebody else netting there. These trawlers have been fishing set runs for many years and sure as shit he will have a routine that he works through daily. I would suggest it is the cast netters who are trying to muscle in on the trawlers run and then pulling the victim card when somebody stands up to them.