Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trawlers in the Pine River

Re: Trawlers in the Pine River

I have had that guy come a lot closer than 2m to me. We were prawning the hole in the south pine and he was doing laps near us. Didn't really phase me too much but I was also curious to the regs involved with this kind of behaviour.
    When I arrived he wasn't in the hole, he was upstream working through another known spot about 200m away. He then turned and started heading toward us, turning at the last second to avoid us ( me and 2 others) by maybe 2ft. I seriously could have jumped on his boat. No words were said, the prawns that were thick when we first arrived disappeared quickly then we moved on. Seems there is no respect toward rec fishos but we are meant to respect him simply because he is working?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    I have had that guy come a lot closer than 2m to me. We were prawning the hole in the south pine and he was doing laps near us. Didn't really phase me too much but I was also curious to the regs involved with this kind of behaviour.
    When I arrived he wasn't in the hole, he was upstream working through another known spot about 200m away. He then turned and started heading toward us, turning at the last second to avoid us ( me and 2 others) by maybe 2ft. I seriously could have jumped on his boat. No words were said, the prawns that were thick when we first arrived disappeared quickly then we moved on. Seems there is no respect toward rec fishos but we are meant to respect him simply because he is working?
    The father and brother inlaws (ex trawlermen) used to work the bay in the season and said it was always a total sh*t fight against rec and pro alike. They even found it difficult to fish without fighting with someone. Don't get me wrong they were very successful fishermen but were total a/holes when it came to defending "their" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    Seems there is no respect toward rec fishos but we are meant to respect him simply because he is working?
    Not so much respect as not be surprised when it happens and start jumping up and down. Different if you have been anchored there all night and they show up but if everyone is mobile it shouldn't be a big surprise these guys are going to come in close - much the same as another castnetter moving in. Prawns, especially Bananas, do scatter when a trawl beam is dragged through a school. A cast net is actually a lot better tool for Banana prawns than a beam trawl and doesn't cause the same scatter effect that the beam will. They have to make significant changes to the net they are towing to catch large quantities as against the greasy prawns a lot of these guys chase for bait - actually quite interesting when you start talking to them - way more involved than just dragging a net around the bottom.

Noted again Scottar and comments from others as well.
    I didn't think I moved in on his "territory" however accept that others may feel that way. My fault perhaps and in future I will give them a wide berth. As an aside, there were no prawns there so again I assume either none existed, or he had cleaned them out and was moving up river before turning back on us.
    Thanks again for feedback.
    Snappas

Quote Originally Posted by Snappas View Post
    As an aside, there were no prawns there so again I assume either none existed, or he had cleaned them out and was moving up river before turning back on us.
    Nah mate, just the most over rated spot on the river, full of sheep in my opinion, those who can not or will not find their own prawn using a sounder and just throw the net cause they saw somebody else doing it. It's also the first point of call for everybody that has ever driven over the highway bridge and dreamed of catching a bucket of prawns whilst on their way to work. I'm not saying you won't get prawns there, but there are plenty of more consistently producing spots to spend your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    Nah mate, just the most over rated spot on the river, full of sheep in my opinion, those who can not or will not find their own prawn using a sounder and just throw the net cause they saw somebody else doing it. It's also the first point of call for everybody that has ever driven over the highway bridge and dreamed of catching a bucket of prawns whilst on their way to work. I'm not saying you won't get prawns there, but there are plenty of more consistently producing spots to spend your time.
    Agree with just chips. The best hauls on that river are taken from the spots that no trawler can go and are further upriver

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

The beam trawler has right away, every one should know there symbels and lights for commercial activites and what they mean.

Scottar
    Im with you good reply will said. i fish the pine bridge alot flicking plastics an it fukin amazis me how many boaties try an get as close as thay can after thay see you catch a good fish.one nite there i was spotlocked on my minn kota hooked up a good jew i had to chase it down river to play it after bout 15mins fighting it a landed it in the boat as iv headed back to where i was fishing this dick head had moved in an droped his pick right where i was but just made me thort ..yep this guy has no idear how to hunt for fish ..

Guys there are planty prawns in the pine like sum have said you got a sounder go hunt for them i never fish among 30 other boats chasing prawns iv allways gone away from them an i hav found 5other spots i can get a good feed of prawns in the river havnt had boats on top of me. The hunt is the best part .