Thread: Welding brakes coupling

Welding brakes coupling

Good day everyone.

I need advice and your help.
    I have had a trailer guy come out to fit brakes to my trailer and he had to weld the brakes coupling to the frame of the trailer.
    I dont know why to me it looks like it's not strong enough as the boat with the trailer is over 1350 kg
    I have provided pictures and thanks in advance to everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Ausfish mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Welding brakes coupling

Hi, that does look pretty weak. I would get it redone if it was my trailer..

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

geezus. I wouldn't drive that in that condition. Be very surprised if that will pass roadworthy on the trailer.
    In my opinion - the metal of the brackets he has welded on is way to thin, the welds are running the wrong way (never weld across a draw bar, always along) and are way to short and will fracture fairly quickly. Also the way he has done it looks like you cant remove the bolts. It should be sitting higher, bolts coming down from top and nuts underneath

Also not sure if there is enough room for the brakes to act fully with it looking like a U bolt might be within the range of movement of the lever arm? Also it looks like the brake cables might bottom out on the u bolt as well?

Here are some photos of setups from my trailers showing how it is done on them. The black one is angle iron uprights, the Galvo one was just plate steel uprights.

Oh and your brake cables are way to loose, no way you should be able to get that hand brake all the way back to that last notch, I'd recommend no more than half way along the notches when on tight. Should be no more than 2 or 3mm gap between the moving part of the hitch and the arm when brakes are off, otherwise it is going bang and clunk way to much as your slowing and accelerating.

IMG_20170305_063942458.jpgIMG_20170305_064021980.jpgIMG_20170305_064029318.jpgIMG_20170305_063932855.jpg

Structurally it is fine short term no matter how shitty it looks until the rust comes into play.
    Those sections of SHS spacers will not collapse or break free.

I would not accept what he has done simply for the rust factor and cheap workmanship.
    Jack.

Make sure your safety chains are securely fitted and let me know when you are on the road.
    Definitely not safe.
    With the forces back / forth, up and down, I'd be surprised you get 500 to 1000kms towing outta that before it'll let go.

Thanks everyone for your replies I'll tell him to redo it like the photos feral has provided. Thanks feral for your detailed response.
    Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    geezus. I wouldn't drive that in that condition. Be very surprised if that will pass roadworthy on the trailer.
    In my opinion - the metal of the brackets he has welded on is way to thin, the welds are running the wrong way (never weld across a draw bar, always along) and are way to short and will fracture fairly quickly. Also the way he has done it looks like you cant remove the bolts. It should be sitting higher, bolts coming down from top and nuts underneath

Also not sure if there is enough room for the brakes to act fully with it looking like a U bolt might be within the range of movement of the lever arm? Also it looks like the brake cables might bottom out on the u bolt as well?

Here are some photos of setups from my trailers showing how it is done on them. The black one is angle iron uprights, the Galvo one was just plate steel uprights.

Oh and your brake cables are way to loose, no way you should be able to get that hand brake all the way back to that last notch, I'd recommend no more than half way along the notches when on tight. Should be no more than 2 or 3mm gap between the moving part of the hitch and the arm when brakes are off, otherwise it is going bang and clunk way to much as your slowing and accelerating.

IMG_20170305_063942458.jpgIMG_20170305_064021980.jpgIMG_20170305_064029318.jpgIMG_20170305_063932855.jpg
    Thanks again buddy have a great weekend

Just an update I have spoken to the guy and he has agreed to do it like feral has suggested.
    Have a great weekend and thanks all for your input.
    This forum is one of the best thinks I've subscribed to.
    Stay safe

great news!

Well done,
    I feel so much safer on the road now