Thread: Interface fcv295 to gpsmap 7012

Interface fcv295 to gpsmap 7012

Gday guys, after lots of googling and even trialling, I have given up. I am wanting to connect my two units so I can use the mark button on my sounder. I have bought the NMEA 0183 lead that google told me I needed to plug into the gps and wire into the sounder. Now the wiring in part is my issue. I found a diagram on the net and I thought it showed the black and white wire being used into terminals 3&4 on the sounder. This has not worked and now I am stuck? It may be quite simple for some of you guys so any tips will be well appreciated. If anyone has done this or could share some information I will de very grateful.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Interface fcv295 to gpsmap 7012

Was a thread here a while back by Chocolate moose about a little doohickey called a Markfish (I think thats it). Guess you will need one of these.

Yeh thanks Scottar, I saw that but I believe there is a way of connecting the two with the nmea. I did it on my fcv585 but can't find a great deal on doing it with the 295.
    Cheers

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Its easy if you have a Furuno GPS but the sentence out is typically in Furuno format - not standard NMEA format - hence the need for the Markfish. when I get 5 I will check the manuals.

I had my Lowrance into my 585. Once you hit Mark on the Furuno, you could scroll the cursor over the lump you wanted, hit Mark again and then the Lat and Long would pop up on the screen. You had to write that down or enter into your GPS straight away. Furuno to Furuno it would ad it as a mark. My problem was after doing this 10 times it was full. I didn't know how to delete them so you would have to do a full system reboot and then reset all your settings. I also suffered electrical interference on the sounder screen so for the little bit of advantage, it was a pain so I don't worry now.

Ok. Manuals consulted. Furuno puts out TLL (Target Lat/Long) or Furuno TLL sentence. The Garmin unfortunately only receives the WPL (Waypoint Location) sentence - at least there is no mention of TLL anywhere in their literature. Hence the requirement for the Markfish. It receives the information in either the TLL or Furuno TLL and converts it to WPL. On their website they list the Garmin 7000 series as compatible and the 295 is in the list of sounders it will function with. You will also need to hook the output of the Garmin to the sounder if it isn't already so the sounder knows where it is/was. The Garmin does have a NMEA0183 diagnostics display where you should be able to see what is coming in on the selected port.

Hi Smithy, yeh I have been putting this off for 2 years now but have decided that it was handy enough to try and get it working. If it all gets too hard or gives noise on the sounder I will abort the idea.

Scottar, yes thanks for that info. Am I correct in my understanding that the garmin will talk with the furuno however the furuno will not talk to the garmin? That's how my 585/garmin setup worked a few years ago. So from what you have just mentioned, I should be able to get Coordinates to display on the sounder, is this correct?
    Thanks soo much for your assistance

Cheers
    Lee

That's right Lee. There is never an iron clad guarantee but incompatabilities in sentence structure are pretty rare in NMEA0183 these days. The Garmin installation instructions and Furuno installation manual will show the colours of the wires and where they need to end up. Shout out if you struggling to decipher it.

Sorry Lee. Just re read your original post . I will have a look and let you know

Try white to 3 and Orange/white to 4. Make sure your port output is configured. If it then doesn't work, reverse the wires. Reversing NMEA0183 wires won't hurt anything - just won't work. There is a port monitor in the Furuno under the NMEA menu that should show the data coming in once you are all good.

Fantastic Scottar, I will give that a go this afternoon. I will let you know how I get on later. Thanks again

Hi Scottar, mate the white and orange/white was unsuccessful so I googled some more. I found a wiring diagram for the 19 pin nmea plug and found the transmitting port wires are +gray and -pink. I tried these and success. So if for future reference anyone needs to know how to interface the garmin gpsmap7012 to a furuno fcv295, it is simply the gray wire into the J2 #3 and the pink wire into the J2 #4.
    You need to go through the menu and select the relevant port and a couple of other settings so if anyone is interested in those settings I could post them. If I can attach a pic of the wiring for the 19 pin plug I will.

When the wires are connected and the settings correct, the lat and long cycle through on the sounder regularly and the mark button works.
    Just to reiterate, the communication is only one way from the garmin to the furuno.
    Thanks for your input Scottar, it is much appreciated.

Lee

I can't find any way of attaching a pic to a thread so if anyone would like the pic of the wiring diagram, I can text it or email it.
    Cheers
    Lee

Sorry Lee - that's what happens when you have been out of the game too long The white and white/orange are a receive port - not transmit - you have it right now though - good thing one of us is on the ball.

No worries mate, you do offer this forum a huge amount of quality advice. It's people like yourself that make the rest of us post here to find out stuff we don't know. Thanks agin for offering advice

Cheers
    Lee