Thread: Best current 40hp outboard?

Best current 40hp outboard?

Hi guys
    I know i'll probably get 5 guys with 5 different answers but i was wondering what would be the best overall current 40hp outboard on the market at the moment, looking to upgrade the tiller steer on a stacer 428 nomad, open to all brands but mainly looking at evinrude etec, yamaha and mercury in four-stroke since these dealers are closest.

Golden rule is always buy displacement IMO.
    Bigger cc the better your boat will go generally.

Here's a good bit if info. I don't own one but in the smaller sizes I like etec. Much better performance than a 4 stroke in that size range.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Re: Best current 40hp outboard?

I have a 50 Yamaha and I can tell you, most of that "add" (because that's what it is) is total bull sh1t if I had my time over again, I would go for a Honda, I have a 4.29 Stacer with the 50 tiller steer, the motor is OK, starts and runs great, uses bugger all fuel, but it is pretty gutless compared to my mates Honda on the same boat, and before anyone asks, I have tried different props and stuff, also hate the tiller.

For me I would be going the Honda as a 4 stroke is what I will be putting on next after 13 years with a 2 stroke merc , the Honda is actually lighter than my merc 60 hp and I believe our onsite Honda dealer is price sensitive . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Where are you located sparky?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Im located in the hunter valley, not sure where my nearest honda dealer is, i've always liked the evinrudes but my last 2 motors were yamaha and i couldnt really fault the reliability

Hi Sparky

I have a 2013 four stroke yamaha 40 hp tiller steer with elec trim and tilt on a stacer 429 outlaw. Its mainly used for river fishing and the bay on good days when I cant be bothered taking my other boat out.
    Having said that is also been 20 ks off shore from Noosa a few times a well.
    I cant comment on other manufacturers but the good points for me are , its very reliable, quite and fuel economy is great.
    down side the motor is a little bit under powered for the boat when I have 3 adult guys in it but its fine with 2 adults plus kids.
    It was originally installed on an allycraft rhino 4.1that had a merc 30 that decided to blow up anyway the allycraft was a lot lighter than the stacer so if I had the coin i would put a 50 on the stacer but I can easily live with it the way it is now no problems.

I would steer clear of the evinrudes ( just before everyone jumps up and down I own an 150 etec ) not for any other reason than it gets pretty tiresome paying $80 for 4 litres of etec oil you wont use much in a 40 HP but it can add up.

As other guys have said the hondas seem to have a good reputation as do most fourstrokes do these days, i would just go with your local dealer so if something does go wrong you can at least get it looked at locally.

Anyway good luck its always good fun buying a new toy.
    Hunter

Re: Best cur

It depends on how you define best overall. I have owned Yamahas and etecs.
    At this power level, i see it this way.
    Performance. yes etecs have better hole shot, hands down. How important is it? Fishing not much, water skiing a lot. The prop probably has more influence.
    Top end speed is also much of a muchness. You wont see more than 60km/h on any of them.
    Economy. Not much difference. I dont think there will be more than a coffee between them.
    Maintenance. Swings and roundabouts. No yearly service but pay for oil or yearly service and pay through the nose..
    Reliability. No difference to me. They are all modern technology.
    Comfort level. all are quiet at idle, all scream a bit at wot. But the more high tech the quieter. Its all relative.
    Weight. Not sure how much of a deal breaker it is in this power band.
    In the end , the only differentiation is personal preference, financial deals and location of service center. I would however reinforce what i have read a million times, get the most powerful motor allowed by the boat that you can afford. Resale and personal satisfaction will be your friend.

Pay $80 for oil or $330 a year service?

Got both 150 and 90 etec oil use is considerably less in the lower class etecs. So don't let that sway you buy any means.

All goes down to whether or not you like the grunt of a two stroke or 4 stroke.

Also got a 40hp Suzuki 4 stroke and it is a awesome engine on a 429 rampage.

Yes we have to many boats.

Just decide whether or not you want a 2 stroke grunt or 4 stroke.

If 4 stroke choose the best dealer, warranty and price. They are all good these days.

Just sold a 60honda 4 stroke and it is was just as good as the Suzuki.

They are all reliable these days if you look after them. Water in fuel will kill any motor so make sure you have the right water separators.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Re: Best cur

I second what Andy 56 said about getting the biggest motor you can legally fit on your boat , no one ever said "gee i wish this boat was a bit slower"