Thread: Hema maps - App or hardware

Hema maps - App or hardware

Gents,
    It seems I've been pretty popular on this 4WD thread for the last few weeks

I've been researching Hema maps for our trip and would just like to hear from anyone with first hand experience.
    I'm tossing up between running the app on my Ipad which I can also use on my phone etc - or purchasing the new Hema HX-1 device.
    It seems the trade off is there's better map detail on the device with more info included but the storage is limited.
    In the app you can download and keep as many maps as you want but you can't get the same detail that is available on the device.'
    I haven't played with either yet but am interested in any opinions from first hand users.
    The new Device only came out in November last year so its possible it isn't in the hands of too many people as yet.
    Brett

Re: Hema maps - App or hardware

Hi Bugman, I probably travel the outback with my mates to, NSW, SA, QLD & NT at least once every two years and sometimes more often.

Over the years we used to use paper maps and in fact some of my mates still do.

I have the Hema maps loaded onto my iPad Air and have had it for about three years. I find it easier to handle than paper and it has never let me down.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are going to use it on an iPad you need an iPad that can take a chip. These have an inbuilt GPS and you will not need telephone service to track your trip.

Can't comment on the Hemma device.

Hope this little input helps.

One final tip. As you purchase the Hema maps through iTunes, it is a good idea to wait until you find iTunes gift cards on sale, then you will be able to purchase the Hema maps app at a discounted price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Hema HN7. Absolutely love it. I have found some awesome drives just by having it turned on to the 4WD function. Found a great shortcut from Bathurst to Tamworth just before Christmas. I've found two other Range Crossings I didn't know existed last weekend. One from Western Plains Zoo to Mt. Sylvia, alongside the Ma Ma Creek road, and another from Helidon to Hampton on Seventeen Mile Road. The only down side is you cannot run in 4WD mode and the normal GPS mode at the same time. I'm considering getting a new HX1 and running the two of them together.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I have the App as well. It cost $99 from memory and have loaded it onto my phone and Ipad......I like the fact I can put it onto multiple devices for the one price.
    My Ipad doesn't have a sim but it can connect to the phone and use the wireless from that. My son loves looking at maps and being a bit of a navigator so I put them both on and give him the Ipad to watch were we are going.

Can't comment on the new HX-1 but I have enough screens not to need another one.

Cheers

Hello all,
    I got to play with the new HX-1 device on Saturday at the Gold Coast caravan and camping show. The Hema bloke walked me through it for over 30 mins. It's a pretty fancy bit of kit. It has all the bells and whistles. It incorporates free camps, points of interest, fuel etc etc. You can create routes with as many intervals as required either through GPS points or town names etc. It has about 6 hours battery life once disconnected.
    Having said all that I'm not going to buy despite the big special they had of $599. That's $100 cheaper than price of seen elsewhere.
    The limitation is the storage - just 5 gig. The unit has over all general maps which are quite good but if you want to look closer - down to 1/9000 then you need to download the other maps available - for free I might add. However after two detailed maps the unit was full. I guess it was ok if you're only driving in one particular area but if you're moving around a lot and want the detail you will struggle to get them down. Also if you're on mobile and wifiing it to the device, not plugged in to the computer at home, you will soon max out your mobile phone data plan. You can't download maps onto another storage device or data card and copy them across - it wont let you.
    I'm going to buy both the Hema explorer and 4WD apps for the Ipad. Total cost of $160 and I can download all the maps I want before I leave. They stay with the unit - the only thing I wont have is all the "extra" info of places to camp/stay or general points of interest.
    For our trip I'm trying to stay away from "others" so the general campsites aren't really something I'm looking for.
    So there you have it - my research and my decision.
    Brett

Ausfish Bronze Member

Well I hope this thread isn't too old to kick it back off with a few questions for you all. I am in need of a navigational aid, be it an App or HEMA even that 4wdsupacentre VMS thing. I just wanted to know opinions, pros and cons ect... I would like something that shows free camps as well as tracks, amenities, servos ect... I do have a Samsung Galaxy 8.0 Tablet not being used, and it still works perfectly. So an app would be cheaper, but would it be as reliable and user friendly as a Hema or VMS unit. What else is out there. My budget for this sits no more then $400 at this stage.
    Thanks!

Ausfish Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Hello all,
    I got to play with the new HX-1 device on Saturday at the Gold Coast caravan and camping show. The Hema bloke walked me through it for over 30 mins. It's a pretty fancy bit of kit. It has all the bells and whistles. It incorporates free camps, points of interest, fuel etc etc. You can create routes with as many intervals as required either through GPS points or town names etc. It has about 6 hours battery life once disconnected.
    Having said all that I'm not going to buy despite the big special they had of $599. That's $100 cheaper than price of seen elsewhere.
    The limitation is the storage - just 5 gig. The unit has over all general maps which are quite good but if you want to look closer - down to 1/9000 then you need to download the other maps available - for free I might add. However after two detailed maps the unit was full. I guess it was ok if you're only driving in one particular area but if you're moving around a lot and want the detail you will struggle to get them down. Also if you're on mobile and wifiing it to the device, not plugged in to the computer at home, you will soon max out your mobile phone data plan. You can't download maps onto another storage device or data card and copy them across - it wont let you.
    I'm going to buy both the Hema explorer and 4WD apps for the Ipad. Total cost of $160 and I can download all the maps I want before I leave. They stay with the unit - the only thing I wont have is all the "extra" info of places to camp/stay or general points of interest.
    For our trip I'm trying to stay away from "others" so the general campsites aren't really something I'm looking for.
    So there you have it - my research and my decision.
    Brett

How did you end up going with the apps? Are they any good? Do you need the latest tablet? I have a 2013 Samsung, in your opinion, would it be able to run the app smoothly? It has SD Card slot too if that helps.