Thread: Simrad S2009 or furuno FCV 588

Simrad S2009 or furuno FCV 588

Whats the better machine the Simrad S2009 or the Furuno FCV588 Im fishing around 100-250ft of water for reds in north QLD

Re: Simrad S2009 or furuno FCV 588

Furuno for my money.

Ausfish Bronze Member willfraser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just purchased the Furuno 588 testing it out this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

the 588 is a solid system no doubt. furuno do make good pieces of kit. in their recreational game they are slipping. the simrad s2009 is a very compitent piece of kit.. with genuine CHIRP sonar goodness "and something interesting coming in a soon to be rleased software update"

for the dollars and on water performance. s2009 does take the win.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Respectfully disagree Moose. Furuno hasn't so much "fallen behind" as not needed to modify their product to "keep up" as such. From on water testing it would seem that the only advantage with chirp has been clearer fish arches - running side by side, the information is on both units. IMO from the pictures I have seen, chirp, while providing better target separation loses out in the bottom definition (hardness differentiation) stakes. Neither system is noise immune in all cases. Certainly if you want bells and whistles though - Navico for the win.

^ agreed, have both on my cat. I have a good old furno fcv 585 and simrad nssevo2 with bsm3 and dual 1kw transducers. The simrad is great for distinguishing fish once i've found them with the furuno. Always trust the furuno to find the fish on the fly over the simrad in 60 m+ of water. Now, this instance is for a cat - a mono might vary but my hull is a semi displacement so that is another factor....

yep. lots of things to consider and factor
    many people ignore that starsign plays a HUGE roll...im looking at you capricorns!!!

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au