Thread: Brisbane River Hot Hot Hot Bite

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Thumbs up Brisbane River Hot Hot Hot Bite

Had a cold for most of last week and wasn't planning on doing anything on the weekend apart from sleeping... Anyway, Friday arvo my brother in law rings to say he is going to head out to the mouth of the river for a fish that night.
    After looking at the weather forecast I couldn't help myself and decided to head out as well. On the water about 10:30pm, winds were light and bait was prolific. I had some hopes of getting a nice fish.
    First throw of the net had about 10 mullet and 7 big banana prawns, how good was this I thought. After half a dozen throws, had probably 25 good prawns, 20 mullet (12 small and 8 big) and a few average herring.
    Hung around getting bait till 11:30pm, didn't need to but was waiting for the BIL in case he wanted some livies, but he pulled the pin saying he was too tired......
    Headed to the first spot which I had got a nice salmon on my last trip. A few catties and then missed a good hit on a big prawn. Waited another 15 minutes but whatever hit the prawn wasn't coming back.
    With the port being protected from the small amount of wind and the water being like glass, I figured I would head right out to the end and have a look around there. Sounded all the way along the port, saw a few fish here and there but nothing to make me stop. Got to 1:45am and knew I needed to stop and get some lines in the water for the low tide and figured I would stop on the next fishy looking thing. Went over a spot where I had seen a couple fish earlier and they were still there so anchored up over top of them.
    Got 3 lines in the water and was just about to start watching a vid on YouTube when 1 line went off. The way it hit and took off I had a feeling it was going to be silver. A nice 89cm jewie pops up after a decent fight. This fish had made my night, I would have been happy going home with that single fish, but thought I would chance my luck and see if there was a school of them hanging around. Rebaited that line and sent it back down to the depths.
    About 20 minutes later it takes off, when I say takes off I mean it is rocketing. After about a 15-minute fight and me wondering what it possibly be, a threadfin comes boat side. The sheer size in the water was awesome to see. Pulled the sucker into the boat and it measured 120cm, my new PB. My brag mat only goes to 120cm and is pretty much the width of the floor in the boat!
    As I am taking photos one of the lines get hit, no hook up and the bait is gone. So, I rebait that line plus the one that had got the big salmon. Wouldn't have been another 10 minutes and one of the lines gets another good hit but no hook up. Rebait that line and send it back down.
    Another 15 minutes and bang, it’s on big time again. This time rather than heading for the middle of the river this fish is running towards the wharf. Managed to pull the boat into the actual wharf, had to try and keep the motor from hitting the wharf while pulling the fish away from pylons. Because it was low tide the boat wasn't pulled up hard on the anchor, just floating around, should have pulled the slack rope in earlier... Anyway, managed to get the fish to the boat and it was a nice 112cm salmon.
    Didn't rebait this line as I was almost out of mullet, had plenty of fish for a feed and with salmon hard to release didn't want to bring anymore up.
    Changed the light line from herring to a big prawn and maybe another 10-15 minutes pass before it gets some action. I called it for a stingray as it seemed to be sitting on the bait and didn't put up much of a fight.... that was until it was about halfway to the boat and then it went mental. Some good runs and then around the anchor rope and around and around. I still half thought it may have been a ray and expected the line to break once around the anchor. Started to pull the anchor up and slowly a salmon emerges tangled around the rope. Got it all the way to the boat and into the boat. Everything was going my way that night.
    Took a couple of quick pics and got it back into the water as quick as I could. I didn't hold much hope of it swimming away, it was pretty well spent by the time I got it in the boat. Swam it for about 10-15 minutes without it showing any signs of life. As I was swimming it the last line in the water takes off, I pull the salmon back into the boat and grab the rod. After a short fight an 82cm Jew comes boat side. This topped off cracker of a session and I left them biting as I packed up and headed home.
    All the action was over about 1.5hrs during the low tide early Saturday morning. Come home a very happy chappy with a new PB salmon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew 2 01 29 AM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	115300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 2 43 42 AM.jpg 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	115301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 3 17 01 AM.jpg 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	115302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 3 37 46 AM.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	115303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew, 3 43 46 AM.jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	115304

Sorry for the long spiel, still reliving the night haha!

Re: Brisbane River Hot Hot Hot Bite

Well done - started fishing the river again after many years but can't get past the bangoes, catties and rays - it will come i guess

Great fish - you would have been stoked

Great report mate, sounds like awesome fishing session.
    Congratulations for your new pb

Do you prefer specifically fishing after midnight or this is because the availability of time?

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Hi Blairv70, the second spot where I got all the fish I didn't lose a single bait to any vermin. I'll be heading towards that area again this Thursday.

Hi PROS, it's mostly to do with availability but also port security tend to be a bit more leniant at the odd times when there isn't many people around. (plus I don't get sunburnt!) My previous pb salmon was caught mid afternoon on the weekend with boats and ships going past me in the middle of the channel... couldn't figure that one out.

Awesome session there by the looks

Top fish and great report mate - congrats on your PB