Thread: Long way from the barn.

Long way from the barn.

Last week, I did a trip out of Airlie Beach that had been in the pipeline for months. The plan was to take my boat (580 Haines Centre Cab) and a mates 40' Obrien gameboat to Bugatti Reef and also outside the reef to the jigging grounds. We fished the same region in September last year for great results and were keen for another round.
    The trip got off to a rocky start, with a solid 20kt SE breeze whipping up a nasty chop. The 60nm run out to our first stop took nearly 5 hours! Ouch! Over the course of the 5 days out, we had a mix of crap weather to sensational, though more of the latter and less of the former
    in the windy overcast conditions, it was tricky for us in the little Haines, not having the elevation to see the reef, but we got by and scored some decent fish on topwater gear. We got out twice to the jigging grounds and had different results each day. The first day, we hardly landed a fish! There was some serious toothy critters on the prowl and we got bitten off or buried in the reef time after time! My mate lost 13 jigs that day and I was probably the same. We did troll up a 15kg Spaniard that hardly fought. Weird.
    The next day jigging was more successful with some nice trout, red throats and a solid GT coming aboard before we got smashed by a big squall.
    The final day made the whole trip worthwhile though, with glamour weather and some great fishing. I scored 2 nice GTs in 2 casts at one point, and we had an awesome light tackle session in the shallows. We just drifted over the top of the reef for about 2 hours, casting small stickbaits. Red throats, trout, stripes, long toms, unidentifiable reefies etc etc were lining up for some action! Very cool, even though we did lose a few lures!
    Overall, despite the challenging conditions at times, it was a Brilliant experience. While we did rely on the big boat for a few comforts and some guidance, we fished seperate ground and it was very satisfying to self guide some great fish. Well done me! Lol
    i did some rough maths on the charts and reckon we travelled about 300nm in the 5 days plus fishing (going back for drifts, trolling ground etc). Total fuel burned was about 360-380l
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4992.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	115356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	115355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4991.JPG 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	115357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4990.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	115358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7253.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	115359  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72522EA2-166A-46C2-B4F7-8721691AF4C6.jpg 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	115360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7273.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	115361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	804F48D7-CE1D-439D-AAD6-AF0F391089A5.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	115362  
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Long way from the barn.

nice bro, i think the greatest trips are the ones that dont go so well at first and then you enjoy the good times more when things go your way.sounds like an awesome little trip/spot you visited, its storys like this post that make me want to do a trip....
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Sounds like a good trip. How did the boat go - all happy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. How did the boat go - all happy with it?
    Yes mate, it really proved itself on this trip. Love it! Perfect layout for this type of thing. Just would have liked it to be twice as long for the trip out to the reef!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Nice one mate!