Thread: Holy Maroochydore!

Holy Maroochydore!

Last weekend I went to Maroochydore to see a mate I hadn't seen in years, it was awesome and we're both mad fishos so of course we went for a session!

It was blowing a solid 25 knots and neither of us had ever been to Maroochydore so we didn't have very high hopes. Around the mouth of the river looked good for Whiting and flathead etc so my mate was throwing vibes and I was throwing surface lures around dusk. Nothing. For about an hour.

My mate said "we're about to hook into some palegics" as a joke and I replied with something along the lines of "mmmm estaury Marlin". Anyway another half hour of nothing.

We were slightly dejected but kinda expected it (didn't plan anything/wind/new area) so we decided to pack it in and have a few beers and watch the stunning sunset. So I called last cast and sure enough I got a super ferocious follow. All of a sudden the beers and sunset were forgotten. I had another few follows but no hookup then boom! Finally a hook up and we get to see what had been chasing my lure.

A cute little Trevally! Not a monster obviously but better than nothing and fought well against 4lb line. After my catch my mate switched to surface (he had been rippin his vibe along the surface with no interest) and straight away he was on!

So we knew what was going on now, a nice feeding frenzy of these little trevallys.

So fifteen minutes later, I'm 50m up the bank trying to stop the birds from eating my pencil and my mates absolutely screaming and waving at me... He's hooked up again... Beauty I thought, but jeez he's carrying on a bit this time. I continue casting... About three minutes later and he's still fighting this thing, so I finally go down to see what the fuss is about and he's wrangling this thing!

It was the first GT encounter for both of us and boy they are tough buggers! It was 52cm, a pup on the grand scheme but man we were so happy! This little session that we were literally walking away from, turned into one of our best together yet!

And of course we still got to those beers! Thank you Maroochydore!!!

PS. Is catching little GTs and mad Trevally bust ups at the mouth of the Maroochy common?

Cheers all!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Holy Maroochydore!

Pretty common around Noosa so I don't see why Maroochy would be any different. I had a session on plastics one morning in the Maloola river off the bank in the park several years back as well.

Re: Holy Maroochydore!

It's always great to just be out on the water, glad you had an enjoyable time.