Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin/vesselview nmea problem

Garmin/vesselview nmea problem

Hey guys, I have a garmin 7410 nmea 2000 linked to the new vesselview/merc simrad 502 touch screen gauge .

If my sounder is on and I turn on the ignition...as soon as the vesselview loads (about 20secs after ign on) the sounder turns off. Every time without fail.

All power/earth etc are good. I have narrowed it down to the nmea network as if I unplug the nmea cable from the sounder then the sounder stays on fine.

Any ideas on a fix?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Garmin/vesselview nmea problem

Should add if I switch sounder back on the network works fine and all info is shared. Only issue is it turning 7410 off on startup.

Cheers

First thing to do will be confirm you have the latest version software in both devices.

Is there a separate socket on the back for NMEA2000 and J1939 on the Garmin - which port is connected if they are both there? In the specs for J1939 (engine can bus) there is a PGN (data sentence) for shut down. There is no such sentence mentioned for NMEA2000.

tmp_31983-20170223_2101561706167115.jpg
    tmp_31983-20170223_2102311958073616.jpg

Thanks Scottar, I have installed latest updates for both the 502 and the 7410. The cable is from the nmea port on the garmin upto the t-piece network then back into the 502. The only other port on 502 is marked sonar. I have attached pics which might make more sense. Thanks for the help!

There is no j1939 on the garmin and that is the only socket the nmea cable can fit

On a sidenote - not real keen on the way that tee piece network is assembled - bending/torquing them like that to accommodate the different tee mounting holes is a recipe for a broken tee and possible short circuit/damage. You can either source another tee so they are all the same or fit a short backbone cable in between the different tee types to relieve the strain

Have you tried unplugging the other devices one at a time to see if the issue is coming from a device or simply from applying power to the Garmin's NMEA2000 port - I assume one of the other tees is connected to power ??

Throw it all out Wahoo and install a Furuno and put Yammies on the back and all your problems will be solved.....

Thanks snappermarty that'll fix it!

Is the N2K powered from the Merc ignition? If so, then try to get power from the House battery.

Thanks scottar... the centre 2 t's arent actually screwed only the end two. That is dealer instealled believe it or not. Point taken though, ill find a new place to mount it neatly and adjust end t.

The backbone has its own power t. So my backbone has 4 ts.
    -1 power pos/neg back to bus bars
    -2 port motor
    -3 starb motor
    -4 7410 garmin

If I unplug both motors off the backbone then the problem goes away. As soon as I plug in either or both it turns sounder off again as soon as the merc gauge loads.

Seems like the motors connecting to the merc gauge throw the sounder out.

I do believe it unfortunately. Seen it way too many times over the years. Doesn't make sense sort of - you have 5 devices -

Power Cable
    Port engine
    Stbd engine
    Merc 502 display
    Garmin display

but only 4 tees. This is possible if one of the displays - in this case the Merc has an inbuilt termination resistor and is designed to be at one end of the backbone. If not, there should be a 5th tee and a second termination resistor at the end of the backbone set up (just out of camera). Is this where the 502 is plugged in currently?

I haven't been able to locate any rigging information on the 502 display apart from the rear connections so I can't say which is correct but at a guess I am thinking your install may not be quite right - may or may not be the problem but is as good a place to start as any.

Where are you located?

Edit wrong ifo will fix

Sorry scottar please ignore last post...confused myself!

Im in Rockhamptom central qld. This arvo i cut the maze of cable ties and traced everything properly. I was mistaken thinking the two ts were engine one and two. The correct wiring is

T1-v link box
    T2- 502 gauge
    T3- power fir backbone
    T4- 7410 garmin.

I appologise for the wrong info!

tmp_17724-Screenshot_20170224-1959011416913365.jpg
    tmp_17724-Screenshot_20170224-193705-1464390669.jpg

It appears both engines link through the v link box.

The 502 gauge has only two wires. the one running to the backbone and another one for a v link power connector.

I spoke to garmin who ran me through a hard reset on everything again but still no joy. The only way I can stop it turning off is to remove both the 502 plug and v link plug from backbone. If either one remain the unit powers off. Garmin think it is a problem with something drawing power from backbone when 502 loads however had no fix just requested photos and will get bavk to me.

The sounder has independant power. I have tested both sounder and backbone power and neither drop as the 502 turns on.

It could be power related or data related. Power is easy to test by isolating the Garmin buss from the rest with an isolation tee and another tee/power cable or a short backbone cable you can "modify". If it's data then its wait for software. I will sort out a diagram and post it up.

NMEA2000 power isolation.jpg

Ok. Option 1 - entirely the right way to achieve power isolation - make sure that the various power supply wires ultimately end up at the same battery - bit of a pain as you will need a few bits that may or may not fix your issue and it will make your network substantially longer and harder to find room for.

Option 2 - Same with the power supplies here - ultimately all back to the same battery. Make sure the fuse is put in. If the shield goes to negative as well on the power cable in the existing network, cut the shield where the wire is bared out as well as the red and black wires - the shield is purely for RF shielding - not used in any way for communication. Bit of a jury rig but it will work and will be cheaper and fix the tee orientation issue at the same time.

Any questions, shoot away.