Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound right???

Does this sound right???

I want to wack up a carport for my boat to live under.

I rang one of our Building Development guy at work and he told me that Council don't have anything to do with that anymore, I need to get onto a certifier which could cost between 5 to 10k to put up a $1500 carport

Please tell me that's wrong...

Re: Does this sound right???

Wrong.

Approach your local certifier and have a chat - they will quote you for the work and will probably recommend a local drafty to do the drawings as well - drafting and certifying a lean to should be $1 - 2k max. depending on the level of info you can give them including existing plans etc.

You will need to get plans drawn which don't have to be too detailed, but do have to nominate section sizes and tie down details etc., the certifier will then issue a building approval with conditions attached and you go ahead and build the thing - assuming you can and understand building/plumbing regs. The certifier will need to do inspections of the footings prior to pouring and of the finished structure. Job done.
    It has always been like this (even when council controlled it), and it was never going to cost $1500 to do legally.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Some structures don't require a building approval such as a small garden shed. Check your council website for self approvals. Attached to house is probably not self approval.

Sorry. ' self assessment '

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Some structures don't require a building approval such as a small garden shed. Check your council website for self approvals. Attached to house is probably not self approval.
    Sub 10m2 free standing is an exemption in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

well im looking at 4m wide and 6m long, attach to an already existing carport

Attached Images Attached Images

What about these? Portable as well.

Portable shed..jpg

Mate where did you find them???

They advertise up around Caboolture and the sunny coast . I will try to find some more info for you. Cheers.

More info. www.shadesheds.com.au

• Transportable Shade Sheds
    • Free call. 1300 667 433
    • Head Office
    • 77 Caloundra Street
    • Landsborough, Queensland
    • Australia 4550
    • Phone
    • Ph +61 7 5494 8027
    • Fax
    • Fax + 61 7 5494 8029

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    Mate where did you find them???
    I am an agent for them and can look after you.
    www.fnqshade.com.au
    www.facebook.com/fnqshadenshelter/

0459 555 612

Can be made to any size, length, width and height.
    Being as they are transportable, they do not necessarily require going through council.

The only way the certifier will cost that much is if you are designing it yourself and they have to go through it and make sure it's right. If you go with a recognized kit provider they will have people that handle it for them at a fraction of the cost - even if you put it up yourself.

Just go to Stratco or similar, they handle the certifiers in the costs.
    Most of their designs are pre-approved and just need allotting to your council lot.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Sub 10m2 free standing is an exemption in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bloody small boat to fit under 10 Sq M

Not sure the costs your way but Sunshine Coat a certifier will cost around $900 but if there are exemptions required this will go up, e.g. generally you can have up to 9m along your side boundary but any more you will then need to look for an exemption if you go above a certain height. Find a local certifier and talk to them, most are quite approachable.