Thread: Replacing mono line-how often for saltwater angling?

Replacing mono line-how often for saltwater angling?

Well,dusting of all my fishing gear as its been years since I have done any fishing.Mainly saltwater angling on the Sunnycoast
    have a few 6 inch alveys with various breaking strains- 10 pound, 6 pound etc for whiting bream and flathead.

How often do or should anglers take line off and re spool with fresh line?? I heard the saltwater and time affects breaking strain of line.

Thanks.

Re: Replacing mono line-how often for saltwater angling?

Depends on how it's been stored, if it's been inside in a dark kind of place, away from heat and sunlight, it will last for years, I replace line on gear I'm using when it starts to go kind of dull and rough to the touch, if it's still nice and shiny, I just keep using it.

You could use a spring scale to check them out (centauri knot best, it busts above the breaking strain).
    Or you could be like me and lose a few fish and then twig the line is past it.

Not too sure about any knot being stronger than the original line!

It will last for a lot of years under the right conditions, but I replace mine every year or two.

its all over 12 years old and some a fair bit older-all been stored well. But think I'll replace the lot,and start afresh.

Noelm

Me neither, but when I first learnt the centauri we tried it out with spring scales and the line never busted at the knot.
    The blood knot which i previously used always busted at the knot.

Just to add to the above post, we were using one of the 'name' brands lines at a nominal 20 pound strength, and the line always busted a bit above the stated 20 lb, which impressed me.
    Sorry can't remember the actual brand, but it is a piece of cake to test your own line.

Depends on how it's stored and the amount/intensity of action you have on the spool.

If you end up having a cracker session out on the Banks, you may wanna change it for next trip. If you're a donut man (me a lot of the time) and simply catch tripe lots of the time, then you could hang onto the same spool for months on end.

Cuzza