Thread: Prawns everywhere + Threadie

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Prawns everywhere + Threadie

Took and RDO on Friday as the weather was looking ok. Plan was to fish the Brisbane river Thursday night into Friday morning looking for jew and threadfin salmon.
    After the alarm decided otherwise, I didn't get on the water until 3:30am on Friday. Plenty of bait hanging around, prawns, herring and mullet. Headed up towards the mouth of the river to spot X.
    Baits were deployed and boy was there some action. I don't think a bait lasted more than 5 minutes, the catfish were that thick and active they were taking everything.
    Did manage a 101cm threadfin which managed to get to the bait before the catties thankfully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 101cm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	115248

Back home by 7:30am to change over to prawning gear. Straight down to Redland bay and was back on the water by 11am.
    Managed our 2 buckets by about 3pm. First bucket was pretty much all at the powerlines till they slowed down then the second bucket was at the saltworks. They were thicker at the saltworks.

Sunday afternoon the weather wasn't looking as terrible as forecast so headed back down to the saltworks. Managed another 2 buckets within about 2hrs, they were thick away from the main crowd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Prawns.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	115249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooked Prawns.jpg 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	115250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sounder Shot 1.png 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	115251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sounder Shot 2.jpg 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	115252

We had parties Friday and Saturday where prawns were consumed and most of the leftover prawns were given away to family. Well within our limit at all times for anyone that is concerned.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Prawns everywhere + Threadie

Thanks for the reports- nice feed - well done. Like the pics - the cast net one on the sounder is a beaut.

Best regards,

Lew

My Prawns must still on the transport down here then?? Because I haven't got them yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    My Prawns must still on the transport down here then?? Because I haven't got them yet.....
    I'd be happy to send you a prawn or two in the post - if you really want....

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Should have come to the party, would have rathered some of you guys than some of the people that did go!!

Biosecurity would be interested in any white spot prawns.
    http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.a...or-help/?cs=12

Quote Originally Posted by Bobpen View Post
    Biosecurity would be interested in any white spot prawns.
    http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.a...or-help/?cs=12
    Yes they would be, I would also be interested in any that I found. The amount of prawns that rec fishers would have pulled out from around the Logan would be massive and with no reports of inected prawns is good signs I think.

Where are the saltworks.

Mark

Saltworks is the Southern tip of Maclay Island. Just look for the boats ( just next to the ferry terminal)

Quote Originally Posted by copie View Post
    Where are the saltworks.

Mark