Thread: Johnson Bolts Help

Johnson Bolts Help

Hi looking for advice from knowlegeable Johnson or Evinrude techs. I have an older v4 crossflow 115 and have pulled the upper exhaust housing from the mid section to check the water tube and gromet. The bolts holding the exhaust housing to the mid section and the exhaust tube to the housing seem to be high tensile steel bolts. The heads on all of these were badly corroded as they are all exposed to salt water. The new part numbers look to be the same. Is this the case or has someone put the wrong bolts in and how do you stop them corroding in the future. It seems unusual as every other bolt is stainless. Sorry I don't have any photos but here are a couple of Omc part numbers. 0306418 and 0306409. Cheers for any info.

Re: Johnson Bolts Help

I don't remember them being plain steel, but then, it's been donkeys years since I actually saw one.

Yeah early ones were a coated steel bolt, needles to say the coating did very little. Might be a task ahead there. we usually drill the heads off, remove said part and deal with the left over stud for removal
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Well, there you go, I thought they were "special" but they are just coated, but, as mentioned, I haven't seen one in bits for years now, the old memory needs an "upgrade" I think!

Thanks I have managed to get them out and ordered new ones. Almost had to morgage the house for them though. Only playing with old girl as I managed to pick up a near new power head thats been in storage. Cheers.