Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outboards in remote areas.

Outboards in remote areas.

I am looking at importing a boat/motor package into Thailand. The motor will be a 60/70hp unit. My preference is an etec60HO. However there are no dealers in the country. So any servicing will have to be done by yourstruly. The two selling features are the 3 years no service and better power than 4 strokes. The other options are Yamaha and Suzuki, both have dealers in thailand so servicing is a 10 hr drive. Either of my three options would be acceptable. My question is, how hard would it be to service myself,? I am not exactly " motor" oriented but i am not clumsy and can follow instructions. ( I have changed oil and filters in cars before). It seems to me that the etec is the easist to live with, barring any unfortunate breakdowns ( which could affect either motor). Opinions from experience people is always welcomed.

Re: Outboards in remote areas.

Your biggest issue will be dirty fuel, lots and lots of dirty fuel. My mate in PNG runs Suzuki outboards however most natives run the old Yamaha Enduros. Whatever you get, make sure you put the best fuel/water separation filter and the finest particulate filter that you can get on your fuel line. Have spare filters and carry them. Teach yourself how to change a Water Pump impellor and buy a spare kit for that as well.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Wouldn't even think about the e-tec if there is no dealers! probably the pick of those would be the Yamaha, simply because there is a chance someone will know something about it.
    Last edited by Noelm; 16-02-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo

well, noelm, its going to be a leap of faith whatever I do. I have to rely on the law of averages that 99% of outboards are reliable. Many guys on this forum service their own, i want their opinions more than someone who rates the odds for me. Not saying its not an issue, just want to know the facts before i rate balance of probability.

I should add that it will be mainly freshwater usage with the occasional yearly holiday down south to the gulf. So servicing can be combined. A chance some one may know something is the same as no chance, hahahaha
    I dont trust anyone here and i have every reason not to. This is the land of " rip the tourist". Even my thai wife says as much. At least I can buy and read a manual .
    Aussiebasser, thanks, thats the type of info I need.

Servicing really won't be that much of an issue. Change fuel and oil filters in a four stroke and fuel only in the 2 stroke. Change the Gear Oil which is pretty simply and water pump impellor, again, simple once you know how to remove the leg of the outboard. Running repairs are going to be your major issues. Injectors clogged by dirty fuel, water ingress into the fuel system, throttle cables jammed, steering seized, electrical issues with the wiring if you're running electric start or gauges. The issue with the Etech, while it doesn't need servicing for 3 years in good conditions, you won't be in good conditions. What are Etechs like running on dirty fuel? How does water in the fuel affect them? Chances are if you're remote you'll be running on drum fuel of indeterminate age and RON rating. Will that cause premature aging of injectors? There is a reason most remote communities use a manual start, non-fuel injected Yamaha Enduro, and it's not for its smooth idling and blistering performance. The KISS principle works in the middle of nowhere.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Well its not exactly THAT primitive here. We have fibre to the premises internet at $30/month There are caltex and Shell stations everywhere here. The government supplier PTT does run clean fuel says my wife. . The after market fuel filter will be my friend, yes indeed..
    Have you tried a rubix cube? Tuning a carbie is on the same level for me, hahahahaha

Servicing is not something I am scared of doing but major breakdowns will be an issue no matter which engine i get.

Which make will give me remote support?

Hey, please yourself what you buy, any brand is good when it's running great, I was simply saying that if/when "something" goes wrong, there is more of a possibility to find someone who knows a Yamaha, and be able to get parts, whether you service your motor yourself every three years, or every ten, makes no difference, but in the end, there is no help at all for the e-tec, as you said yourself, this is no indication of whether they are a good motor or not, take advice, or don't take it, matters little to me, but, don't ask for advice, then gives reason why you don't like what's given.

I like your input to so many threads Noelm. But i didn't read his response like that.
    I think he was just clarifying his OP

OK, if I misunderstood what he is stating, then I am sorry! sometimes written text is not what is on someone's mind, and gets confused when read by others.

There are some really smart fuel filter set ups nowadays about 80.00 ..designed for on farm use.....and Id be looking at that for a starter.Dont know how fuel behaves in that climate during storage but Id certainly favour a removable (portable) tank set up so that you can guard against stale fuel more easily..particularly if your usage is not often and regular.. Saw all sorts of weird and wonderful "outboards" in Thailand..

I have a mercury 150 4 stroke and if you believe the guff ,its designed to be easily home serviced....might also be worth a look...although again Thailand??

Get one of these motors or similar and the locals can service it

http://sprzedajemy.pl/silnik-do-lodz...-km-nr43680662
    What could go wrong.......................

I can totally see where Noelm is coming from.

Stick to the Japanese 4 strokes and hopefully any good automotive mechanic can assist if required, buy the etec and you can be assured all mechanics will simply scratch there heads and offer no help. The Etec simply requires too much training to be competent in diagnosis and repair
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Just a repeat

Here is my take. Noelm tends to be black and white which is ok. I understand where he is coming from. But spaniardking couched it in a more nuanced way. " The Etec simply requires too much training to be competent in diagnosis and repair".
    Which begs the question, are the others any better? I mean the two stroke is a much simpler beast.
    Noelm, please dont be so quick to arch up mate. If we were all geniuses, there wouldnt be any questions, lol. I just wanted to know how important a dealer is when your so far away anyway. There are others here who have had this very dilemma. So for all intents and purposes i will be on my own. Its about totally informed decisions
    I get the point about looking beyond the three year service intervals.
    But as i said before, it will be a leap of faith which ever i get. If i play safe, its most likley a suzuki or yamaha.. I did have yamaha 60 4s in my first boat and i cant complain. it was pretty good. But so was the etec on my second boat. So i am not going to dismiss them out of hand without good reasons. Suzuki everybody's darling at the moment but i also see that they have jumped up in cost.
    Chimo, thats a lame attempt at humour, hahahaha Maybe thats another qualifier, no tiler steer.