Thread: Seajay Striker 5.1 or 5.6

Seajay Striker 5.1 or 5.6

Hi all I'm new to the forum and need some advice
    I'm looking to purchase a new Seajay Striker plate boat as an allrounder to chase a few reef fish or mackerel and also be able to get up the creeks to get some Barra.
    I'm after any experience people have with these in regards mainly to what size would be better in creeks and a little offshore on a good day. Matched up the hull weight is about 70kg heavier on the 5.6 and motor weight the same but beam is slightly wider. The overall length of the 5.1 is 5.5m and the 5.6 is 6m.
    Im leaning towards the 5.6 as there isn't a lot of cost to upgrade to it but am concerned whether it will be to big for creek fishing?

Re: Seajay Striker 5.1 or 5.6

In my opinion you'll be able to fish up creeks with the bigger boat but it will restrict your access to a degree. The 5.1 could be said to be more of a creek boat whilst the 5.6 would be better outside. Things like crabbing up little creeks and cast netting become problematic in the larger boat. Is it too big? No, probably not. Just awkward.

Depends on the creek.

Ive always found when you compromise for an 'all rounder' whether it be a car/boat/rifle/rod etc etc you often end up disappointed in both areas. If doing mostly outside fishing def go bigger and only use in slightly deeper waterways/eye on tides. If you end up doing a of creek fishing get a little creek boat down the track.

Thanks for the replys so far. i agree that the bigger the boat the more difficult it will be to get around. Some other people have told me go to the 5.6 it will float better due to the larger footprint so thats why i thought id see if anyone has experience with the 5.6 striker in creeks and rivers.

Didn't have a Striker but I had a 5m Haven.

Had it up rivers and creeks with no dramas as long as there was at least 1m of water.

0.75m to 1m was ok but mine didn't manoeuvre like a tinnie because of the deep V and trimming the motor out would reduce manoeuvrability further.

Any chance you could get the 5.6m and a little tinnie for the creeks?

I've just sold my 5.6 predaking, same hull as striker but centre console. Only sold as wife hated being so exposed after having a 685 Cruisecraft. The boat was excellent at Hichinbrook up the creeks, in the Daintree and at the reef 75 km offshore. I would highly recommend the seajay 5.6. Build quality second to none, excellent ride and a great family business that backs their product.

Thanks victoroscar where I go now with a mate we are never below a meter of water and unless I win the lotto I don't think il be allowed 2 boats.
    Reel Blue thanks for the insight I really like the quality of sea jay and from my experience so far dealing with Troy from seajay they can't be more helpful.
    Where you have said you have used your boat is exactly where I want to go with my new one as well as locally around Rockhampton and Yeppoon and hopefully up to king ash bay for a few extended holidays.
    from your experience would you suggest the smaller 5.1 or stick with the 5.6?
    Also what size motor were you running?

Seajay Striker 5.1 or 5.6

Double post

I have a 5.6 Striker Side console I have had for about 3 years and about to sell now I have the 7m.

First off - Troy is a great guy and very straight, he won't let you down.

Go the 5.6 - you won't regret it, I fish some very very shallow and skinny water up on the western cape, and I can get pretty much anywhere my mates in 4.5's can or do go. I am probably more predisposed to pushing the envelope but the 5.6 is very nimble and it draws bugger all. The creek we camp on has a very shallow delta at the mouth, water gets down to about half a foot at low tide, just off low I can get in and out, though sometimes with the assistance of tidal run and some patience. Though the other boys aren't going around me then either. Though if you park it solid they are a big boat and you won't shift easily, though neither will you a 5.1 either.

They are a very very well made and finished boat, and their alloy trailers are excellent too. The 5.6 with a 150 any day over the 5.1, that extra length makes a big difference in chop and I really don't see any drawbacks in skinny water.

I have a 150 Yamaha on mine and it's a great match. I can fish 4 blokes, all our gear and a full esky and the 150 does it easily.

Handling is excellent, again I think that 18 foot size is a gem in that hull. I have been out in Moreton bay in some truly awful days (25 knot southerly's and 20 knot northerly' against the tide) and despite getting wet the boat handles really well with no evil tendencies and rides well for its size.

Go the 5.6 - unless $$ are an issue there simply are no drawbacks in the 5.6 over the 5.1. Oh and make sure you option tabs, pitch in these boats is not an issue - they are well balanced, but they do need a touch of tab on the roll axis across the breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Kondo 1 for a great description on how the 5.6 handles, it's exactly what knowledge I was after. Troy has priced with a 130 Yamaha do you feel that is enough horses or should I be looking at the 150 as you have?
    im only new at this posting stuff so not sure what double posting is? sorry if it's not the correct way to do it

No Probs - Personally I think the 150 is a perfect match and gives you more flexibility. I reckon 130 would be the minimum and they aren't a light boat. If you want to fish the reef as well I would definitely go the 150 - much more punch and torque especially with a few blokes on board and or some rough weather. 150 is by no means overpowered either, I just think it is a great match.

Don't stress about the double post, my fault, I got an error message when I posted the first time but it looks like it posted. I just deleted to save confusion.

My 2 cents, always go for max hp if you can afford otherwise you will be like me and learn the very expensive way!!! Just dropped my 5 hour motor for a larger motor. Had to as it just wasn't performing to were I wanted it.

You will never here if someone saying that they have to much power and want to downgrade. But you always here of people wishing for just a little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I had the 130 yamaha and also upgraded the hull and transom to 5mm. This motor is extremely economical and has a real turn of speed with great acceleration. I could do 50 km/h and still get 2 km to the litre. I actually never felt it needed more power. Not often you can travel that quick offshore in a tinny. I knew I wanted to head offshore 1770 and up north so I went the 5.6 over the 5.1. Hardly any difference in price.

Thanks everyone for your help I'm going to go with the 5.6 side console and probably stick with the 130 yammy as it's about 50kg lighter and from all reports I've had from people with them on same size boats they are very responsive and seem to have a lot of power.
    Kondo 1 totally agree about their trailers, I'm getting seajays off-road alloy trailer, they are on the expensive side but are built rock solid and built specifically for the boat with plenty of keel and hull support.And just like their boats are fully customised to what I want on them.
    Now I just have to be patient while it all gets built.