Thread: Mackerel seemed to have arrived in the southern Gulf

Mackerel seemed to have arrived in the southern Gulf

Most people I have been talking to say that I am more likely to see Spainiards in number for a few months yet. Over the past few weekends I have been seeing them free jumping all over the place. The wife got a good specimen a couple of weeks ago bottom fishing with Plastics. This fella took a blue and silver Halco laser pro. Solid fish at 1500mm and a proud
    PB.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Mackerel seemed to have arrived in the southern Gulf

Sorry for the Grammar error in the title.

Great photo again and good to see some reports from another part of Oz. I've got to ask you though, what is the aerial coming out of you hat? Is that part of our northern border protection radar set up? Keep up the good work notenough!

Therapy..

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Awesome spaniard, hoping to get some down around Brisbane some time soon, can only hope they are this big too!

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Great photo again and good to see some reports from another part of Oz. I've got to ask you though, what is the aerial coming out of you hat? Is that part of our northern border protection radar set up? Keep up the good work notenough!

Therapy..
    Hahaha it is the tip of a little spin rod sitting in a rod holder. Funny a couple of locals were talking about when Indo boats were coming down in 2009 about 10 of 60 that got between Gove and Weipa landed on the island. They got a shock when our mob were out chasing turtles etc with spears.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Awesome spaniard, hoping to get some down around Brisbane some time soon, can only hope they are this big too!
    Have any SM shown up off Moreton yet? We are from Brissy and can't tell you how much time and effort I have put in chasing these from Moreton to the Goldie for no huge success. I feel like I am finally reaping the rewards for time spent by getting to fish up here. Was eyeing off Sunday arvo but now it looks like we are fair chance of cyclone.

great fish

Donkey of a spanish - well done!
    BeastMaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Ausfish Silver Member

Great fish- well done

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughsickies View Post
    Have any SM shown up off Moreton yet? We are from Brissy and can't tell you how much time and effort I have put in chasing these from Moreton to the Goldie for no huge success. I feel like I am finally reaping the rewards for time spent by getting to fish up here. Was eyeing off Sunday arvo but now it looks like we are fair chance of cyclone.
    Not in any big numbers yet. Won't be chasing them while the prawns are as thick as they are at the moment!

They turned up in numbers this morning off Tweed
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

There have been plenty being caught by my kayak mates off the Sunny Coast. Best I have seen this season went 1.76m and 35kg at Sunshine Reef. Not a bad effort in a yak.

Couple of vids of macks caught on the sunny coast this season

Awesome fish