Thread: Jigging for kings

Jigging for kings

I'm looking at having a crack at jigging for some kings and AJs on the eastern side of Moreton. I'm not looking for specific marks but what depth should I be looking in? It's hard work if you're never going to get a hit.

Any info us appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Jigging for kings

We found them at hutchies in 45mtrs, that's the most shallow I have found them. Otherwise I think 80 mtrs is the starting point for them east of moreton. As you have already suggested, it's hard work if you are not parked directly over a school. Your sounder is your best friend, once you recognize a school of YT you won't be dropping your jigs down unless you are certain. Get gym membership a few months prior if you are going to prospect here and there every time you see one or two fish, I don't bother unless I can see thick schools under me.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

Kingies can be found quite shallow in as little as 15 - 20m probably even shallower and big brutes at that!

Whether you can stop them or not before they get back home that's another story!

Deep water being required is a common misconception for a lot of anglers chasing these fish..

Happy hunting!

Thank you for the info guys!! Hopefully I won't gas myself before even hooking up!

I find in really deep water and really heavy jigs are the go, the heavier the better
    Humility is not a weather condition.

And a reel that allows very quick release of line, and a very high retrieval rate.

Too slow either way and they don't seem to be tempted.

Most of mine have been jigged on the way down and if you haven't had a strike in a while then rest a bit before dropping again.

No point jigging if your not marking any fish or bait. Shallowest depth I've caught a kingy east of Moreton is 30m. Also the largest.