Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Advice on what boat to buy - Melbourne

Re: Need Advice on what boat to buy - Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    LOL. Having made that trip as far as Newcastle - fly or drive and then buy the 40 footer. I was in an 85 footer with the best part of 400 ton displacement and it still wasn't big enough.
    Northern wimps.

"Danish born Australian adventurer Hans Tholstrup undertook the impossible and completed an extraordinary expedition and one of the greatest small boat ocean voyages of all time in a stock standard Haines Signature 540 powered by a 90hp engine. Hans completed the 7,500 km odyssey from Darwin to Okinawa, Japan back in 1999"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Northern wimps.

"Danish born Australian adventurer Hans Tholstrup undertook the impossible and completed an extraordinary expedition and one of the greatest small boat ocean voyages of all time in a stock standard Haines Signature 540 powered by a 90hp engine. Hans completed the 7,500 km odyssey from Darwin to Okinawa, Japan back in 1999"

And I'll bet he'll be the first to tell you it wasn't all beer and skittles. I was a lot more "adventurous" when I was younger but now I like it warm and dry - most of the time at least. Sometimes being in a smaller rig is a godsend - they don't get the same rolling motion as larger displacement craft do but when your in the middle of nowhere with walls of water breaking over your bow to the point they are tearing the fendering off - isn't one of those times

Wasnt meant to be anything other than a perfect reply to why us southerners need a 40ft boat.