Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra 36V - batteries

A word of caution, and not about batteries. Be very careful and against company advice. Mount on a quick release bracket (a metal one). When your unit fails, and it will, in the down position it is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    A word of caution, and not about batteries. Be very careful and against company advice. Mount on a quick release bracket (a metal one). When your unit fails, and it will, in the down position it is a nightmare.
    Sounds like good advice and learnt by experience...

BItter experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I was in this situation a couple of months back and the weight of the batteries and usage time was a killer. I just cough up the $$ and went and got 12x180Ah CALB lithium batteries. Runs the motor all day without cracking a sweat. The previous lead batteries was struggling about noon and cant hold a spot properly.
    Hi hungry ,Bit of age to this thread but anyway looking for some advice. I am about to buy batteries for my ulterra, the batteries you got from ev power did you buy the them ready to ''plug and play'' so to speak? I have spoken to Rod and he recommends a battery control unit. Sounds like good advice the control unit prevents over discharge and also manages charge between the 3 12v batteries. Is this the sort of set up Rod sold you?
    Kev

I have a 24v Terrova ipilot, 12/24 sterling onboard charger and 2 x full river 120 agm Batteries.
    5.6m CC with low sides/bow, been in full use for 2 years now and love it, used as an anchor mainly offshore and inshore. Can highly recommend this setup from my experience with it.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    Hi hungry ,Bit of age to this thread but anyway looking for some advice. I am about to buy batteries for my ulterra, the batteries you got from ev power did you buy the them ready to ''plug and play'' so to speak? I have spoken to Rod and he recommends a battery control unit. Sounds like good advice the control unit prevents over discharge and also manages charge between the 3 12v batteries. Is this the sort of set up Rod sold you?
    Kev
    I wired mine up with a 12V ^ 24/36v charger with anderson plug for charging purpose.
    I founded that the batteries will last a couple of decent trips before need recharging. I dont trust the Suzuki charging system to charge it on the go. If you have a roof in your boat, I would put solar and a good controller in. That what I would do for a self charging and maintenance and cheaper to boot.
    Those LYP bateries are alot more durable than people give them credit for. In a big system like mine and maybe your, it hard to fully discharge them, unless you are really trying to kill them. Only danger is overcharging which I have in check with the controller. Gets them to about 95% and button of.
    Humility is not a weather condition.