Thread: Whats it worth

Whats it worth

My brother is looking at upgrading his Suzuki 140hp four stroke and is looking at selling it. It is a 2004 model and has 1160 hours on it. In good condition and always serviced. It has neve let him down. Your thoughts

Re: Whats it worth

It's very hard to price, has the steel plug been replaced? you need to remember it is a 13 year old motor with over a thousand hours, that will scare a lot of potential buyers off, even though it shouldn't, do you have receipts for regular services?

If it's anything to go by we have a 115 4s Suzuki 02 model with a 1000 less hours and we were told 3 grand. I know it's not the 140 and a couple of years older so you would have to take that into account. Run's like a gem, and for 3 grand we'll keep it with a smile on our face.

Well to tell the truth, its a limited market for something in that condition, age and milage. Somebody who has the mechanical aptitude and is willing to take a risk may pay something for it. I wouldnt be too fussed about $1000 more or less you are being offered now. I know its an emotional issue, but thats the reality. Fishing 111 has given you the other option. You can buy a lot of juice for the difference. Its already an efficient motor so i doubt what ever you next buy will use much less. If on the other hand you want more power, thats a different criterea.
    Last edited by Andy56; 12-02-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: adding another line.

I think it is a very good motor to be selling, that sort of HP is hard to find second hand, and you should have no trouble finding a buyer.

If it checks out well.... 5-6K retail pricing...a lot less if I am trading it
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks all. He got offered $3K for it as a trade in from the mechanic that does his annual service. Thought he might get a little more on the second hand market but probably not worth the effort .

Can you confirm if the steel plug has been replaced? I understand where the O2 sensor was supposed to go on the exhaust manifold, I owned a 2003 115hp that had a buggered plug, fortunately I got it early enough and had the hole alloy welded shut. I think there would be a lot of would be buyers if you could show that the plug was sorted. They are an awesome motor.

140 suzuki is exactly what i want. I'd buy it but strapped for cash at the moment :-( and about to go away for a month for work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyfish View Post
    Can you confirm if the steel plug has been replaced? I understand where the O2 sensor was supposed to go on the exhaust manifold, I owned a 2003 115hp that had a buggered plug, fortunately I got it early enough and had the hole alloy welded shut. I think there would be a lot of would be buyers if you could show that the plug was sorted. They are an awesome motor.
    Hi Hillbilly I believe he has had it done. I remember him talking about it and he has also mentioned other things his mechanic changed / serviced over the years so it sounds like it has been looked after. I will ask him though

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    140 suzuki is exactly what i want. I'd buy it but strapped for cash at the moment :-( and about to go away for a month for work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app
    I spoke to my Brother this morning and he is in no hurry so let me know if you are keep and I will get you on touch with him.