Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin DF 140 vs Twin 150 opti/etec vs Single 300HP on 21ft deep v glass boat

Twin DF 140 vs Twin 150 opti/etec vs Single 300HP on 21ft deep v glass boat

Looking into getting new outboard/s for a deep vee 21 foot (over 2t loaded) glass boat.

I am well aware of all the pro's/cons of single vs twins and ideally want twins
    main reasons I want twins are:
    - around 280mm less draft on this boat with twins (I do go through shallowish water at times)
    - power/control through bars
    - better stability

Transom max weight limit 400kg max which leave all the 4 stroke 150 blocks (even the lightest 150 Merc is too heavy with long leg option & oil etc).

Main use,
    85% outside fishing/spearing going quickly from spot to spot (limited trawling) typical bar crossing
    15% tubing skiing with fam.

The boat handles very will with a single 300 fourstroke (decent top speed mid 40's kn and cruise speed).

If I want twins it leaves:
    Suzuki DF 140
    Optimax 150/175
    Etec 150-200

Suzuki DF 140
    Prob best suited motor but Im concerned slightly underpowered as the boat does well with HP (300 recommended)
    Low on torque (possibly running twins this may not be such an issue)
    Low on top end speed/cruise speeds

Optimax Pro XS 150/175
    Great power. No doubt performance is ideal but concerns are:
    Noise (on a single wouldnt be too concerned but think may be an issue with twins)
    Reliability

Etec 150/175/200 (older gen not new G2 as they are too heavy)
    Also great power. No doubt performance is ideal but concerns are:
    Reliability (have owned a couple of etecs one good one bad)
    Resale

Interested to hear others opinions who have been in/own similar setups.

At this stage I think the most sensible is the single 300 as the twins just dont tick the boxes unless Im missing something??

Re: Twin DF 140 vs Twin 150 opti/etec vs Single 300HP on 21ft deep v glass boat

Which boat? Deadrise? Underpowered with 140's?? Is it top speed or mid range performance/bar work that is most important? With twins of same hp as single, you lose out on top end, but mid range/bar work performance is so much better, with probably same or possibly even better economy (at cruise) if set up right. Personally I wouldn't have thought 140's would be too small (they are a great engine), would even be considering less hp. Don't like heavy ar$ed boats. 40kn top end plenty enough in my mind, well my 2c anyway
    Cheers
    Brendon

G'day
    More informed opinion will come but while your waiting
    Our KC with 140's is around 2.5 tonne in the water, does low 40 knots top speed, cruise 25-30 knots at 4 -4500 rpm.
    Total cubic capacity is around 4L around the same as a 300 so similar torque I would think.
    It's nice having twins if you go wide, all sorts of things can stop a motor, nice when your isolated or near hazards to know there's 2 of them
    Adds a fair bit of weight on the back though which could be a deal breaker
    Cheers
    Rod

Go the suzis. Forking out $12-20/L for Opti or Etec oil will give you the shits in no time.
    Twin 140s should be more than enough for a 21 ft boat.

Hi have twin 140 Suzi on me 680 Haines hunter. They are weapons do everything I need them to do . Never missed a beat I run 4 blades on them lose a bit of top end but awesome out of the hole and get av 1.3 litre a k at 4-5 revs can not falt them

Free Membership

I know an oke who has a 6.0 eden craft offshore with twin 140 suzukis. top speed is a bees dick under 50 miles an hour.

The Suzuki's will give you the best resale for sure, and the lean burn 140's are excellent on fuel. Notwithstanding that, the 140 has always been a sweet motor and is extremely popular for a reason. Go the Suzuki's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would go for the twin Zukes if you have to re-power. You say that a 4 stroke 300 also does the job. Have you considered keep the 300 & adding a jackplate to raise the engine when in shallow water.
    Elec/hydraulic jackplate will be a few grand but would be a cheaper option.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks for the replies so far - very helpful.

There is a good comparison vid I found: But on twin 150hp (bigger blocked yam) vs single 300hp
    The results are pretty impressive for twins. (You can also download pdf results of both setups)

Gofishin
    24 - 25” Deadrise
    Really wanted both decent top/cruise speed and barwork power. (If just top speed Id go single – 2stokes give both but with other trade offs)
    The weight of twin sukes on transom should be spot on (heavier starts becoming an issue)

Cape Crus
    Looks like impressive results from your sukes, sort of info I was hoping for. Cheers

Camhawk 88
    Thanks. I did factor oil in - am happy to pay if I get what I would like. Really need lots of power on the boat to get most out of it, just hoping Suz are enough.

Swany22
    Thanks great info. Would love to get more info off you. IE cruise speed/ WOT speed (with approx weight). Did you switch props to give you more mid range grunt (ie motors not quite torquey enough previously?). Have you been in same/simialr boat with a single if so how does it compare?

WildfishExp
    Thanks, I know a guy with one also. He suggested the 140’s maybe a tad light on power for the setup I was after. He is very happy with it on the EC and I think would be a spot on -they def balance the boat nicely from everyone I hear who has been in it. Plenty of grunt and decent top end (low 40kn's depending on load)

Kondo 1
    Thanks, Sukes do have a strong following. I do know a few with issues but it’s a common motor so youd expect that (more around more likely to hear about any problems)

Peterbo
    Its actually not a repower but a new setup. For shallow water I can trim up and put trim tabs down which will help quite a bit (still not as good as twins though).

Mate, just had some figures returned on an out of the box Evinrude G2 300hp repower on a heavy older 26" deep vee (Huntsman). Nothing would come near these numbers in terms of fuel economy and top end. If I was chasing performance (and the combined utility of needing a torquey engine for occasional watersports), that is the way I would steer my decsision. The 140 Suzuki has always been a popular engine - we fitted quite a number of the early generation models on 6.8's in the Johnson guise. Thy work well in a twin rig set up. The added benefit of a single G2 is keeping the bum light with a 250kg engine. Twin engines = greater cost, more maintenance, further installation complexities and the indepedent reliability element is only truly achieved if you are running separate fuel tanks and power systems.

Free Membership

yes I think youd be very picky to say that twin 140 would be underpowered on a 21 footer. I only run a single 150hp on my 22 footer and its all the power I need, but I am only at 1500kg on the water, and you are 2 tonne. If it was my boat id go twin 140 and just troll with 1 engine and save hours and therefore servicing costs.

Ausfish Silver Member

1 good point was, its dearer to run 2 motors. is that a concern? can we take money out of the decision? and if your worried if 2 140s are enough compared to a 1 300hp there wont be much in it mate twin 140s will do whatever a single 300 can do give or take a bit in different areas. at the end of the day like another good response said if your going outside deep id have 2 motors, if it wasnt a worry id go 1 300hp, done, if it ticks all your boxes 1 cost for service etc and a lot easier to set up.. and your not missing anything if the single 300hp is what seems to be right for you then trust your decision. good luck bro wateva you decide let us know what you choose..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Free Membership

check out the captain magazine 6m shoot out. twin 140 Vs single 300 Vs single 250

https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/6-metre-shootout/

I dont really know what to make of the shootout. I suspect that two motors would have better hole shot due to having more blade pushing water. I would have expected the 300 to do better at top speed due to less resistance. One motor is more economical than two , i can dig that.

Ausfish Silver Member

boys boys this sounds like a mines bigger then yours.. lol, he wants to go fishing not have a outboard drag race.. if it gets out of the hole quicker etc. dont matter and i still reckon whatver is cheaper and easier to run as they are all not gonna have much in em wateva combo he decides. but for me im gonna check out the shootout...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..