Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best braid line for big fish

Question What's the best braid line for big fish

So I'm looking for a really top braid not worried about cost or atleast it be around the $120 or less mark for 300m.
    I'm looking for a top quality with amazing breaking strain and 8 strand + PE if possible with very thin diameter.

I'm rigging up a reel for offshore kayak fishing problem is a friend who owns a tackle store told me some brands which is best
    but he is more into freshwater and baitcasters and this is for saltwater and spinner reel. He said unitika, gosen line but unsure on those.

What do you use and if you do use PE/8 strand whats the best out there?

Re: What's the best braid line for big fish

what will you be using it for? Trolling? Popping? Bottom bashing? Hitting?

What's amazing breaking strain to you... 50lb, 80lb, 100lb?

PE is a method of measuring the diameter of a braid, not so much a type of braid. Just a term that gets used now cause the japs were using it.

Surly your mate who owns a tackle store knows more then just fresh water fishing?

Any high end jap braid will do the job of you really want to spend the big dollars.

One more thing to think about. A locked up drag on heavy braid in a kayak will see you end up in the drink sooner or later.

Here GreekBoi,
    Have a look through this.
    http://www.#################.com/4linetesting.htm
    Site is Paulus just fishing .com - go to braid test results.

I found that Saltiga Boat is the best for what I need in 80lb ( Thinnest & strongest breaking strain ).
    I buy it in 1800mtr rolls so I can spool multiple reels with it.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Daiwa-Sal...0AAMXQWzNSjSrM

Cheers Rob

Will be for jigging, trolling, casting, bottom bashing lol
    Looking at 30lb mainly for kingfish, snapper, reef fish, maybe a spanish or spotty.
    I've caught large sharks on 30lb before using sas braid but my friend said sas isn't as good anymore.

He owns a tackle store that's for freshwater and mainly only does comps for bass and barra.

naa your wrong about kayaks.. lol I know guys that get 150+cm Spanish and big marlin and never had issues for going into the drink lol
    I've got a 2m shark on my kayak never felt like I was going to tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by bowds13 View Post
    what will you be using it for? Trolling? Popping? Bottom bashing? Hitting?

What's amazing breaking strain to you... 50lb, 80lb, 100lb?

PE is a method of measuring the diameter of a braid, not so much a type of braid. Just a term that gets used now cause the japs were using it.

Surly your mate who owns a tackle store knows more then just fresh water fishing?

Any high end jap braid will do the job of you really want to spend the big dollars.

One more thing to think about. A locked up drag on heavy braid in a kayak will see you end up in the drink sooner or later.

Sunline castaway is the best that I have used. Not to say that there aren't better lines out there, but I loved borrowing a reel with that stuff on it.

Chasing Pelagics from a yak is no issue due to the angle of the line, the issue you can have is if your fishing the bottom and the line is going straight down. Dosnt happen often but all it takes is you shifting your weight to a side while the fish decides to take a run and it doesn't take much to spin the yak over. Not sure why the LOL's are needed in your reply. But hey, as usual you don't take friendly advice real well given your other threads.

Chasing Pelagics from a yak is no issue due to the angle of the line, the issue you can have is if your fishing the bottom and the line is going straight down. Dosnt happen often but all it takes is you shifting your weight to a side while the fish decides to take a run and it doesn't take much to spin the yak over. Not sure why the LOL's are needed in your reply. But hey, as usual you don't take friendly advice real well given your other threads.
    Yes and no. I run 50lb braid trolling for pelagics, and although I haven't felt the need to upsize that I haven't had any issues (gaffing them is another story!) and it actually does take quite a lot to tip the yak over. I know of one yak fisho on the gold coast that locks up drags on TLD20s with 80lb braid and leader when chasing cobes. I have no idea how (but I think it has a lot to do with keeping the rod as close to inline with the bo of the yak as possible while still being able to lift so as not to create much force with which to flip) and I certainly would never recommend it, but it can be done.

I suspect your issues will be setup and technique related more than brand of braid.
    Getting above 30lb in braid whilst yak fishing will be a learning curve for you.
    To be honest I can't find a need for more than 20lb braid yak based because the kayak follows the fish and does nearly all the work tiring it out.
    I use Tasline All White series braids.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomphisher View Post
    Sunline castaway is the best that I have used. Not to say that there aren't better lines out there, but I loved borrowing a reel with that stuff on it.
    That Sunline Castaway feels good, tho I had problems where it kept snapping a meter or so from my rod and kept loosing 50 to 100meters of line
    Could've been a bad batch

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    That Sunline Castaway feels good, tho I had problems where it kept snapping a meter or so from my rod and kept loosing 50 to 100meters of line
    Could've been a bad batch
    That is not fun. Bad batch quite possible. I've only ever had that happen when one of my rod guides had a nick in it. It does suck to lose all of that good line like that!

Varivas Big One. The best braid I have ever used or felt.

Because I been kayak fishing for 6 years and I never seen anyone offshore or bays that have flipped over due to a fish.. Even bottom fishing and scoring fish upwards of 15kg.. I was just watching a video
    yesterday of a guy catch a 12kg kingfish which went to the bottom and then took a run.. The only effect it does to a kayak is if it takes a run you just pull along with it and get dragged out to sea which is a pain.
    But unless your kayak is tiny or not built for fishing or the hull isn't suited for kayak fishing then yea you may flip but yea I never seen or heard of anyone flipping or spinning 360 due to a fish.. I think the only
    one I seen was a shark video that was around a 5m shark and the guy had a 5.5ft rod so the smaller the rod the more chance you may flip if a shark of a massive weight took you down. But then again go youtube
    extreme kayak fishing 112 LB & 72lb tuna.. the guy gets pulled down but he never flips.. that's due to the kayak being built for fishing so the hull is super stable.. Like Mine I can sit on the side and fish.. It's not wise though
    but it can be done without any chance of the kayak flipping over. But if you know better then ok.. Either way this isn't about a kayak post its about fishing line.

I can only but imagine ( I don't kayak fish) that having to break snagged up braid over 30 or so pound whilst on a kayak could only be described as an "interesting" exercise. I can understand that fighting a fish is not an issue as you can use rod angles and rudder to keep the forces applied in the right direction but straight down with out the rod has got to be tricky?? I've had enough trouble with 50 and 80 out of a 6 metre rig on the days with no current.

As for the braid - everyone's expectations are different and personally I have never found a braid that was really horrible apart from the really cheap stuff and the original spider wire. Going on a spin reel - try and find something that has as round a cross sectional shape as possible.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Expensive line is great until you get a wind knot and lose 30 metres, or have to cut your line because you can't break it on the kayak, or (if fishing from a boat with someone else) it gets tangled with someone else and you have to cut the line to get rid of the tangle. Might not happen to you but it's a consideration.

I've recently been using Daiwa J Braid and I consider it's probably the best braid I've used. Very nice handling and seems pretty strong for the line-class (using 50lb). I've been using it for jigging and have caught Dogtooth Tuna up to 14kg so far (and some enormous sharks). I would happily buy it again.

long your not on land with rock, 19kg gliss line are great, nice and cheap from bcf otherwise berkley whiplash all the way for me =)