Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 5-6 meter McLay Boats

Opinions on 5-6 meter McLay Boats

Hello!!! My name is John, first post here and looking for advice on McLay boats.

I have looked at many of the major plate boats, Stabi, BC, Surtees but have come across McLay boats and I am having trouble getting much info online.

I am looking at either the 561/581 Crossover or the 551/581 Sportsman, they seem like good value for money.

What are your experiences with these boats? Living in Melbourne and will mainly fish on bay with kids.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    John

Re: Opinions on 5-6 meter McLay Boats

I have only ever been in one. It was a 2010 model then new with 140 suzuki. I don't remember the model designation, but around 5.5m cuddy cab. It performed very well, surprised me. Haven't looked over the new ones, can only assume they improved.

Seems like very few opinions on this boat...not getting a good feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjvv View Post
    Seems like very few opinions on this boat...not getting a good feeling...
    I think they are nz boats check out some of there forums
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Awesome boats. Did you see the one for $26K with the 140 Suzuki for sale in NQ. Bargain. My 585 only had a 100 and it was fine. Very under rated boat. My Way on here (Fadil) had a 6.5. It was awesome too. He regrets selling it but he makes a little bit of money each time he changes which keeps his missus happy.

They are well regarded in NZ

John, did you use the search function? Ausfish is pretty slow these days. I am sure there are plenty of Mclay threads. There have been about 6 keen forum users with them that I can remember.

Thanks...does not seem all positive....people complaining about them a little on NZ forums..

I have looked on Ausfish but cant find much specific info on the models I am looking at....

I've always had a good opinion of them. Dealer in Mackay so lots sold up there. the little Fortress are very well thought of as far as I know. if I could afford one I'd buy one for sure.

Thanks Sheik, you get so many reviews on the big brands but McLay this seems lesser known here in vic even though big in NZ. Just struggling to find reviews....I dont want to waste dealers time going on a million test drives, want to narrow it down propperly.

No worries mate, like I said, as far as I am aware they have a very good reputation as a strong well made boat, I think even the little ones have a plate floor which is not common in the smaller boats. i think only some trailcraft and the occasional Telwater (quintrex, stacer etc) have them in some models.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    No worries mate, like I said, as far as I am aware they have a very good reputation as a strong well made boat, I think even the little ones have a plate floor which is not common in the smaller boats. i think only some trailcraft and the occasional Telwater (quintrex, stacer etc) have them in some models.
    To be honest with you, i am totally confused as to what boat to get. I am hopping from brand to brand but would like to buy something at the Melbourne boat show...

Apparently, these are well regarded http://richardsonmarine.com.au/2015/...er-7000ht-2-2/

Extreme boats are worth a close look at, they usually at yhe shows. Very nicely finished and tough.