Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on 5-6 meter McLay Boats

Re: Opinions on 5-6 meter McLay Boats

What's your budget? What's your tow vehicle? Why wouldn't you go secondhand? Buying new you have a massive wait and potentially no chance at getting a test drive with the right motor/hull combo you are looking at. 2nd hand someone has probably ironed out a lot of bugs and fitted a bit of fruit, spare wheels, electronics, extra lights, etc, etc. that make a boat and all cost time and money. There are awesome boats for good prices coming through the Buy Swap and Sell Facebook every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    What's your budget? What's your tow vehicle? Why wouldn't you go secondhand? Buying new you have a massive wait and potentially no chance at getting a test drive with the right motor/hull combo you are looking at. 2nd hand someone has probably ironed out a lot of bugs and fitted a bit of fruit, spare wheels, electronics, extra lights, etc, etc. that make a boat and all cost time and money. There are awesome boats for good prices coming through the Buy Swap and Sell Facebook every day.
    55k. Would like a boat on a single axle to man handle it thus it seems like i am limited to 5.8 meters. Towing with hilux 4x4.

I am totally open to 2nd hand as i can get something.

Reading at Yalta and Baysports now...they look alright??? Hell of a lot cheaper than haines's...

It can do your head in that's for sure but you are not ready to buy just yet as you haven't yet decided on plate or glass. Make a detailed list of what you want the boat to do and post it up and perhaps people can help narrow it down a bit. I made a detailed list on here last year and recieved lots of help and eventually knew what I wanted so then set about finding that particular boat, still ironing out a few things with it but overall I'm very happy with my purchase but I spent a lot of time researching and thinking....I tend to do that though.

You are right, I have not made my mind up. Have been leaning towards plate as it will be cheaper to run with smaller engine and you get a bigger boat for the same money. However i like glass more....i will make that list!!!